Emission Test Readiness Federal Exempt Vehicles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today i was going to bring a 96 Volvo 850 in for inspection but as always i checked the obd 2 with my scanner and it said it was not ready so i figured let me do a drive cycle but after i did that it still shows no codes but not ready, so i drove it around on the side streets and on the parkway for a total of 99 miles doing errands..Still not ready i checked a few things out and decided to look at it again on Monday but in the meantime one of the girls mentioned that the 96 volvo 850 was on a readiness exempt list through the epa with a lot of other vehicles did anyone ever hear this? She showed me something online but i did not get to read it because we were really busy. Any information would be great.. We don't do inspections just engines.

The 96 850 OBD system resets when the car is shut off.

Some states inspect them regardless of how many monitors are ready and not smply fail them just because of this problem. Other states give a tailpipe test for these cars.

The 850 is indeed on the exception list. Warning: PDF

I will find out what New Jersey's policy for inspecting the 96 Volvo 850 is on Monday. I don't know if they just pass it or do it like the pre obd2 cars with the hose in the tail pipe any other information or updates would be great.

At least in Mass, 15 year or older cars don't go through OBD-II test! My two 1999 cars were not hooked up to the OBD-II scanner during this years annual test. But I still cleared the CEL before showing up for the test!

Mass inspection stations (all privates) no longer have the ability to run the tail pipe test (on dynometer) any more.

As far as I remember; in Joyzee, you ARE allowed up to 2 readiness monitors showing "not ready", as long as there are NO CEL/SES/CES/etc. dash lights lit up.
wink.gif

I've gone right through with one monitor not ready when I lived there a couple of years ago.

Per federal guidelines, for 2001 and onward model, only ONE incomplete is allowed. How individual state wants to interpret and enforce this guideline is up to that state.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back