Emergency brake sticks

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2008 RAV4, 101000 miles. My emergency brake sticks....but only in winter. If I actuate my emergency brake it works, and in summer it will release. In winter if I use it, when I release, I can feel slack in the cable and it will not release. Where do I look first for the problem?

Possibly cables with moisture/water in them and freezing when temps go below freezing. Try heating them with a hair dryer when it does this, if they release replace them with OE cables. If not pull the rotor drum and check the return springs.

On my toyotas its been the weaker (from age) springs that are part of the cable assembly combined with additional friction somewhere inside the cable. I would not be surprised if the nylon surrounding the inner cable somehow got compromised. So frustrating! Haven't had this on non-toyotas of the same beater vintage.

I've been known to get them working at least temporarily by taking them off, coiling them tight then straight, and whipping the things on the floor. But taking everything apart is so nasty why not just spend the $30 and be done.

If you have drum brakes you should check that they aren't hanging up in some weird way.

Originally Posted by philipp10
I have a 2008 RAV4, 101000 miles. My emergency brake sticks....but only in winter. If I actuate my emergency brake it works, and in summer it will release. In winter if I use it, when I release, I can feel slack in the cable and it will not release. Where do I look first for the problem?

I suspect it has a drum style e-brake. Sometimes applying a drum type e-brake while rolling will clean rusty crud from the drum surface and keep in from sticking when cold. Obviously one has to be careful where something like this is tried because one/both wheels may lock up.
cheers3.gif

bathing the cable in WD40 may help. I managed to extend the life of the Rat's e brake cables, by freeing them up in their bad housings for a yr or 2. 40$ each for new cables. The cables on the E 28s went to a mini drum brake assembly. I manged to keep them working with used parts.

You are likely going to need new cables. 10 years of salt and moisture has taken a toll on them. PB Blaster might buy you some time.

Originally Posted by Marco620
Dont use e brake in winter.

I drive vehicles with automatic transmissions . I use park . Only time the E brake gets used is when preparing for state inspection .

My guess is the parking brake hardware and then the cables. Start at the rear brakes and see if anything moves with the rotors released. Toyota has almost always used shoe in hat parking brakes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back