Emailed Mobil 1 re: 5w-20 EP Pour Point disparity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Logician
Originally Posted By: ekpolk
On the other hand, from a practical perspective, for most US users, in all but the coldest places, I really don't think pour point means much. Hey, if pour point becomes a factor here in Florida, I'd hate to think about what would be going on in North Dakota. . .

I'm in North Dakota, and I've definitely experienced temps lower than the MSDS figure of -42C (-44F). I'm not sure I've seen them lower than the datasheet figure of -54C (-63F).

But to your point about the relevance of pour points, hardly anyone lives here. Our population is 0.6 million for the entire state. So, Mobil 1 could probably lose all its market share here and never notice!

Hmmmmmmmm -- has anyone considered that the paucity of population (given the area of ND and the population, your density must be the lowest per area on earth, following closely behind the South Pole) may have to do with the fact that you guys actually challenge the pour points on your oils -- on a regular basis?!? In such a place, your engine needs "coolant" why??
wink.gif
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: Art_Vandelay
Originally Posted By: Tom NJ

I have no idea how ExxonMobil treats their data, but am just pointing out that there could be many reasons for discrepancies between Data Sheets and MSDSs other than formulation changes.

I meet with a high level industry insider(Deep Throat) from time to time. He told me that Mobil 1 has an articulation agreement with Absolut Vodka. He notes that the MSDS department gets the Red label which is 100 proof and that the PDS department gets the Blue label which is 80 proof. Now, sometimes people from both of these departments, stumble out to the water cooler in the hallway, and start arguing that the percentage of alcohol in the respective bottles isn't really important...that's when they started putting the Vodka in the Mobil 1 deep freezers for 48 hour testing. Apparently the Red label has a superior pour point to the blue but nobody can read their writing to get the actual figures.

That does tend to prove that the overall performance of the product is what matters, since they're all drunk.

So, what you're saying is that now, along with our diluted-value E10 gasoline, we're going to get E10 oil too! How hippocritical -- E10 petrochemicals (petroalcochemicals??) are a good thing, but an "E10" driver goes straight to jail and gets a DUI hung over his head?
smirk2.gif

Actually a good lawyer would argue that your blood alcohol level is proprietary information.

Hmmmmmmmm -- has anyone considered that the paucity of population (given the area of ND and the population, your density must be the lowest per area on earth, following closely behind the South Pole) may have to do with the fact that you guys actually challenge the pour points on your oils -- on a regular basis?!? In such a place, your engine needs "coolant" why??
wink.gif
cheers3.gif

Hey now, I may not have spotted another human being since 1986, but let's be fair: Alaska has an even lower density! Although, their population centers are also significantly warmer in the winter (20 degrees warmer, give or take), so maybe they don't care about pour points either. Don't quote me on this, but I believe the top 4 coldest "cities" in the U.S. are all in North Dakota (I think Nome, Alaska is #5).

Why do we need coolant, you ask? Well, we do occasionally experience this freaky thing called "summer". I haven't been keeping track, but I think it comes around about every year or so. We're no Death Valley, but I remember 113F a few years ago. That's probably sweater weather for you in Florida though, eh?

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Still no response from XOM? Not even a cookie cutter type one?

No. Nothing. I just resubmitted it earlier today. Maybe they are afraid of BITOG lol?

OK, if it makes you feel better....

Dear Mobil 1 Customer,

Thank you for your recent inquiry regarding Mobil 1 products. As we're sure you can understand, ExxonMobil does not discuss formulations publicly,as this information is proprietary. We would rather focus on the advanced technology and proven performance that our engine oils and other products offer to our customers. Mobil 1 is the world’s leading synthetic motor oil and the one chosen by more original equipment manufacturers around the world as factory fill. We want those facts to speak for us so our customers feel confident they are getting a high quality, high performance product that provides ultimate protection to their vehicles.

Thank you for your continued interest in Mobil 1 products. Happy Motoring.

Dear Mobil 1 Customer,

Thank you for your recent inquiry regarding Mobil 1 products. As we're sure you can understand, ExxonMobil feels it is much harder to screw it's customers by discussing formulations publicly.

In regard to the Pour Point differences, mentioned in your letter, they are, by no means, more indicative of base oil content, than a DNA test is of paternity. As such, we began a, "Who's your Daddy," program and it's widely regarded as the best in the industry.

In years past we produced a PAO based product that required little to no deception on our part. Those days are long gone. After the Castrol Debacle(heretofore referred to as “The Incident”)we decided to roll out a new "proprietary" formula with Super Shaft technology. You can rest assured that no leading motor oil can offer you greater protection from the truth.

Dear Mobil 1 Customer,

Thank you for your recent inquiry regarding Mobil 1 products. As we're sure you can understand, ExxonMobil feels it is much harder to screw it's customers by discussing formulations publicly.

In regard to the Pour Point differences, mentioned in your letter, they are, by no means, more indicative of base oil content, than a DNA test is of paternity. As such, we began a, "Who's your Daddy," program and it's widely regarded as the best in the industry.

In years past we produced a PAO based product that required little to no deception on our part. Those days are long gone. After the Castrol Debacle(heretofore referred to as “The Incident”)we decided to roll out a new "proprietary" formula with Super Shaft technology. You can rest assured that no leading motor oil can offer you greater protection from the truth.

Posts like this must be at least half the reason companies keep composition info to themselves.

Great thread, folks.

Love it when the engineers on here give us a peek at their world.

Used to be a rep for an oil jobber/distributor long ago. Was priviledged to be able to attend many classes, schools, meetings provided by some of the majors back then.

For instance, attended a week long school at the the Shell Westhollow Research Center in Houston. Totally cool.

Always loved how the engineers might have differing viewpoints on all things tribological.

Learned real quick that they knew a bleep of a lot more about lubrication than I did.

cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: buster
Super Shaft Technology. LOL!

Nothing offers you greater protection!

art, we dont care cuz we outsell every other synthetic combined,sincerely xom's crack customer service

Mobil has never responded to my email. I submitted it a second time shortly after the first but once again no response.

Do you think they declined to answer it because I mentioned BITOG?

Mobil has never responded to my email. I submitted it a second time shortly after the first but once again no response.

Could be. I mentioned BITOG once in a phone call and the guy clamed up. Maybe they feel like they are being set up with all the M1 bashers here.

They better get their act together. Lost Penske, maybe FF for Corvette....LMAO!!

Originally Posted By: tig1

Could be. I mentioned BITOG once in a phone call and the guy clamed up. Maybe they feel like they are being set up with all the M1 bashers here.

I know. It's likely their concern was that more than one person would be getting the answer.

Since it's a legitimate question, they can only lie, through omission, or tell the truth. Neither are good.
So option 3 - pretending they never got the email(twice) was the way to go.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back