Emailed Mobil 1 re: 5w-20 EP Pour Point disparity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just emailed this to Exxon Mobil. Whenever they write back I'll post the response here.

Please clarify the current Pour Point of Mobil 1 Extended Performance 5w-20.

You have inconsistent data listed on your PDS vs MSDS. Please furnish the accurate Pour Point for the 2010 current product.

You list (-51C Pour Point) on your PDS © 2007 Exxon Mobil Corporation:
http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENPVLMOMobil_1_Extended_Performance.asp

Yet you list a (-42C Pour Point) on your MSDS Copyright 2002 Exxon Mobil Corporation -- (Revision date December 31, 2008) here:
http://www.msds.exxonmobil.com/psims/Alt...umentFormat=RTF

A 9 degree higher pour point is an incredibly significant difference. Not to mention that anything lower than -50C suggests high PAO base oil content.

Is this a typographical error or a radical shift in product formulation?

You must understand that this data is very important to some of your most loyal customers. To be honest many of us prefer a strong polyalphaolefin dosage. It really comes in handy when you are arguing that the only thing Pennzoil Ultra has over Mobil 1 is that stupid free hat they're giving away.

I and the good people at BITOG (Bob is the Oil Guy website) eagerly await your response.

Thank you,
Art Vandelay

thumbsup2.gif

Dear Art_Vandelay,

We agree! Those Penzoil Ultra baseball caps are sweet!

Best Regards,

Exxon Mobil

They will love the part about the free hat. They will probably not know what you are talking about since that little BITOG promo is over.

Dear Art Vandelay,

You will be happy to know that we are about to launch a new product line: Mobil Hellfreeze. This is our 'coolest' product yet and has a pour point of -100C because we are sure these are exactly the type of conditions that you BITOG members experience on a daily basis.

Now, when you finally come out of the ice age, we will have our weak sauce (aka Mobil1) waiting for you to use.

Best Regards,

Exxon-Mobil

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Dear Art Vandelay,

You will be happy to know that we are about to launch a new product line: Mobil Hellfreeze. This is our best product yet and has a pour point of -100C because we are sure these are exactly the type of conditions that you BITOG members experience on a daily basis.

Now, when you finally come out of the ice age, we will have our weak sauce (aka Mobil1) waiting for you to use.

Best Regards,

Exxon-Mobil

crackmeup2.gif

The coldest recorded temperature on Earth was -89C. (Vostok, Antarctica, 1983.)

Clearly Mobil 1 is of inferior quality in this application.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
They will love the part about the free hat. They will probably not know what you are talking about since that little BITOG promo is over.

Now Johnny, you know I'm just trying to get us all (free) Mobil 1 hats out of this deal.

Originally Posted By: Art_Vandelay
Originally Posted By: Johnny

Now Johnny, you know I'm just trying to get us all (free) Mobil 1 hats out of this deal.

20.gif

Originally Posted By: shrooms
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Dear Art Vandelay,

You will be happy to know that we are about to launch a new product line: Mobil Hellfreeze. This is our best product yet and has a pour point of -100C because we are sure these are exactly the type of conditions that you BITOG members experience on a daily basis.

Best Regards,

Exxon-Mobil

crackmeup2.gif

+1 Now that's funny right there, I don't care who are!

Hey boys and girls another thread re Mobil 1 and a problem. Wow what an oil wish I had the courage to use it, but life has enough problems why ask for more???
54.gif

Originally Posted By: ottotheclown
Hey boys and girls another thread re Mobil 1 and a problem. Wow what an oil wish I had the courage to use it, but life has enough problems why ask for more???
54.gif

Where's a problem?

I'm sure the QA temp at EXxon who was given the drudgery job typing up the MSDS phoned the lab multiple times looking for product specific data, which was never provided, so they used characteristic data instead - or whatever was in the FIRST form they edited. Hey its just an MSDS
shocked2.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back