Elon Musk says Tesla is moving its headquarters to Texas

Status
Not open for further replies.
At 25 I was homeless and hopeless. Thanks to Silicon Valley and San Jose State College I have more than my wildest dreams.
I wouldn't live anywhere else.
Jeff, you're a wonderful success story. Harsh reality is not everyone has the ability to do what you've done.

How does the average working family survive? How does a manufacturer stay competitive in California?

10 years ago my daughter was renting an older nothing special apartment in Belmont for $1700/month, it's now $4500/month.

Jeff, you're a wonderful success story. Harsh reality is not everyone has the ability to do what you've done.

How does the average working family survive? How does a manufacturer stay competitive in California?

10 years ago my daughter was renting an older nothing special apartment in Belmont for $1700/month, it's now $4500/month.
Thanks for the kind words. I am one of the lucky ones, that's for sure.
My point is, opportunity is a key component. Without it, who knows where I would be. Perhaps dead or in prison.

The housing costs here are too high. Period.
Our 3/2 home in Los Gatos (a great area) is 1200 sq ft on a good day and is almost $2M. It would sell in 1 weekend.
People have to live. My belief is, if you are willing to get up and go to work you should be able to have a little house and live your life.

10 years ago I would have advised your daughter to buy, not rent.
When I bought our fixer upper, it was all the money I had and could barely afford the payments. Turned out to be a stupid lucky decision.

Thanks for the kind words. I am one of the lucky ones, that's for sure.
My point is, opportunity is a key component. Without it, who knows where I would be. Perhaps dead or in prison.

The housing costs here are too high. Period.
Our 3/2 home in Los Gatos (a great area) is 1200 sq ft on a good day and is almost $2M. It would sell in 1 weekend.
People have to live. My belief is, if you are willing to get up and go to work you should be able to have a little house and live your life.

10 years ago I would have advised your daughter to buy, not rent.
When I bought our fixer upper, it was all the money I had and could barely afford the payments. Turned out to be a stupid lucky decision.
A 1200 sq ft house here sells for way under $100,000 all day long. Crazy how different the economies in Tx and Ca are!

Texas is poaching companies to move there by giving incentives and a far greater deal than companies that are long established in Texas. If you look at History, Texas is what the Republic of California was in the 1980’s. Texas will shift and change will come. Give it time. I’m thinking in the early 2030’s.

Reactions: JC1
Texas is poaching companies to move there by giving incentives and a far greater deal than companies that are long established in Texas. If you look at History, Texas is what the Republic of California was in the 1980’s. Texas will shift and change will come. Give it time. I’m thinking in the early 2030’s.

Unfortunately, People tend to bring their voting habits with them when relocating.

Elon Musk is worth around $201 billion with a B. Most of that is in company stock. That stock is fully taxable when he sells it. So, Texas with zero state tax liability, or Cali with a tax liability of over $26 billion. For 26 billion I'd move to Texas and create my own weather.
I would not be suprised to see the California Franchise Tax Board come after him anyway for his unrealized gains. I have heard that Board compared to the Gestapo, but I would make no such comparison for fear of being sued for libel by some elder Germans.

I am not sure you understood the point of my post. There is huge opportunity here.
At 25 I was homeless and a hopeless alcoholic. I joind AA at 33 and, let's just say things got better. I got my 1st degree at 40.
I am not sure where else things could have changed for me. The promise of cheap quality education and the Silicon Valley "can do" attitude picked up a broken man and gave me a life.

You might be surprised what I do with my money. Let's just say helping others in my life is more important to me than any Tesla, Lexus, you name it. It makes me happy.

As far as Musk goes, he reopened a shuttered NUMMI plant after GM and Toyota left and now 10,000 people have good paying jobs.
In CA, we have the best medical care for those of little means. Public schools give out computers and free lunches to all students.
Why do you think so many people want to live here? 12% to 14% of the US population?
Do I pay a lot of taxes? Yes and it is a great problem to have.
I have to believe a lot of people's opinion of California are far from accurate. CA is not for everyone. But we lead the nation is so many ways.
You are a rare success story and seem altruistic. I applaud that!

From an outsiders' view, CA is really going into the toilet and it has net negative growth. And those leaving are the ones with resources. The ones flooding in, are poverty, drugs, 3rd world folks.

You are a rare success story and seem altruistic. I applaud that!

From an outsiders' view, CA is really going into the toilet and it has net negative growth. And those leaving are the ones with resources. The ones flooding in, are poverty, drugs, 3rd world folks.
I appreciate the kind words.

You are mistaken about the resources. The growth here in Silicon Valley is incredible. I don't understand how it can keep growing but it does.
Musk emphasized yesterday, “This is not a matter of Tesla leaving California.” My understanding is software development will remain in Palo Alto.

Microsoft, Samsung and many others are building incredible state of the art campuses. Check out what Google is doing in an old run down part of San Jose...

As far as the the less fortunate coming here, our diversity is our strength. Do we have serious problems? Yes. We are California. We are strong.
Every state in the Union benefits from the huge Federal tax contribution generated from our state.

I am not sure you understood the point of my post. There is huge opportunity here.
At 25 I was homeless and a hopeless alcoholic. I joind AA at 33 and, let's just say things got better. I got my 1st degree at 40.
I am not sure where else things could have changed for me. The promise of cheap quality education and the Silicon Valley "can do" attitude picked up a broken man and gave me a life.

You might be surprised what I do with my money. Let's just say helping others in my life is more important to me than any Tesla, Lexus, you name it. It makes me happy.

As far as Musk goes, he reopened a shuttered NUMMI plant after GM and Toyota left and now 10,000 people have good paying jobs.
In CA, we have the best medical care for those of little means. Public schools give out computers and free lunches to all students.
Why do you think so many people want to live here? 12% to 14% of the US population?
Do I pay a lot of taxes? Yes and it is a great problem to have.
I have to believe a lot of people's opinion of California are far from accurate. CA is not for everyone. But we lead the nation is so many ways.
I don’t buy that land of opportunity stuff - but the reason is a forbidden subject …

I don’t buy that land of opportunity stuff - but the reason is a forbidden subject …
@4WD I am a living example of it. I should have been dead or in prison. I was a horrible, constant drunk driver; I am lucky I did not kill someone.
I have made every mistake in the book. Local Community Colleges, San Jose State and Silicon Valley opportunity changed my life. If the good local Police did not arrest me all the times they did, who knows what I would have done. They chased me right into AA.

I tell people, if you can't make it here, you can't make it anywhere. That's my experience.

@4WD I am a living example of it. I should have been dead or in prison. I was a horrible, constant drunk driver; I am lucky I did not kill someone.
I have made every mistake in the book. Local Community Colleges, San Jose State and Silicon Valley opportunity changed my life. If the good local Police did not arrest me all the times they did, who knows what I would have done. They chased me right into AA.
Not my point - never mind if you don’t get it …

CA's collapsing growth rate is evidence of the fact the state is sinking. The state is NOT silicon valley. It's lost net loss population growth in the last decade... losing 1 Congressional seat. Those with resources are fleeing. Silicon valley is a bubble echo chamber b/c it's full of rich people who have no basis in reality. Sorry but that's the reality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back