eljefino is buying a brand new car

Paid it off.
banana2.gif

Smug dealer could have kept me on their prescribed payment plan if they went for my 2.9% but they had to get greedy. Their loss.

Hasn't had its first oil change yet.

Originally Posted by eljefino
Paid it off.
banana2.gif

Smug dealer could have kept me on their prescribed payment plan if they went for my 2.9% but they had to get greedy. Their loss.

thumbsup2.gif

Paid it off.
banana2.gif

They cashed their commission check, they don't care if you paid it off. Everyone's happy I guess?

Originally Posted by PandaBear
Paid it off.
banana2.gif

They cashed their commission check, they don't care if you paid it off. Everyone's happy I guess?

I believe there is a 90-120 day chargeback/clawback period where the dealer loses the commission on the loan if paid off during that period.

The Prius prime has a $2500 rebate and $4502 tax credit. Brings it down to competing with less-electric versions.

The loan was a cash-flow thing. (Aren't they always?). Also figured it would bait the dealer with the possibility of a kick back. I have options and a month to think about them while waiting for my first bill.

Congrats on the new ride dude !!! Looks great, and love the color.

I did similar on the F150, 6.something% for 60 months to get $750 cash rebate by going through Ford Credit. Going to refi for much lower rate after three payments. Dealer gets their kickback after three payments are made, we have a gentlemen's agreement on that. Want to keep a good rapport with them in case I need service.

Originally Posted by nthach
Prius AWD. I've been seeing those around, sadly most of them are Ubers that will never leave SF/Oakland.

Likely the majority drive like "Prius" drivers maybe they will get a ticket while transporting weed.

Well, gang, I did it again. My $750 prius hit 303k miles and was starting to not be something I wanted to commute 120 miles a day in. Guess what I replaced it with! Be specific.

Close. Prius Prime.

They put $10,002 in rebates and tax incentives on it, and the dealer knocked some more off. Unlike my wife, I was fine with grey paint, which 90%+ of prii come with.

Dealer delivered it with a full tank of gas, but empty battery, a common occurrence from what I've read online.

Car is advertised to have ~26 miles of electric range, accurate. To add to "range anxiety" the heads-up-display shows a running tally of battery percentage that ticks down from 100 to 1, about two ticks a minute.

Car has "Jesus take the wheel" mode when it thinks it's getting out of the lane. Turned that off. Felt like I was driving on icy roads because the car was moving laterally without my input.

They changed the LED headlights somewhere between 2019 and 2021. High beams are now "quad" and nice. The low beam cutoff is still an annoying razor sharp line that's bothersome on hills.

I think my gas MPG is around 65. With my electric boost though it's well over 100. I pay 14 cents/ KWh and figure this is about 30% cheaper than gasoline. Time-of-day metering options for me are unattractive-- Four or five cents surcharge in the morning and evening for a penny off the rest of the time. Don't think I'll be signing up. Takes 6.6 KW for a full battery load.

Car comes with a level 1 charger, 12 amps at 120V over six hours. I popped a 15 amp breaker with nothing else on it so am putting in a dedicated circuit and improved garage subpanel as soon as I can get parts. (Covid has hit electrical parts too!)

There's seating for five now unlike previous years of the Prime-- the enlarged battery used to take a rear seating position. Now it takes trunk space with a high load floor. Also, oddly, the rear glass swoops down in the middle, guzzling trunk space but improving aerodynamics. There is no rear wiper-- if they made one it would have an odd path and lots of flexing to do.

Electric only mode is, dare I say it, peppy? Jackrabbit starts might be guilt free, though they're plausibly fatiguing to the battery pack. If I am driving on electric and the battery runs down to zero, gas mode is notably less peppy. They could do some work with the DBW throttle mapping.

This car (LE trim) has XM and HD radio, but no blind spot monitoring in the mirrors. First car with seat heaters, but this is to let you run a cooler cabin. It uses a heat pump for heat, crazy! Gas engine runs if it dips below 14'F. I force gas mode to drive to work then use electric to come home, feel it uses each powertrain's strengths.

Toyota still recommends 5/10k OCIs, same as the regular prius, despite this car possibly running much less. IMO it should have an engine hour meter or smart OLM. I may change it every 15 tanks of gas once out of warranty.

Last edited:
That's the only new car that loos like it had a collision before it left the factory.

Otherwise congrats. It will last you a long time.

Nice. I think my electric is like 17c/kWhr so I've been ruling it out.

Hope it lasts you 300k.

^ Aside from the reduced cargo space it can be used like a "regular prius". With the tax credits and rebates it comes in cheaper. Toyota is doing a lousy job of promoting these things.

^ Aside from the reduced cargo space it can be used like a "regular prius". With the tax credits and rebates it comes in cheaper. Toyota is doing a lousy job of promoting these things.
These are designed for those who want a hybrid-the design is way off-not main steam. There is not a pleasant looking angle on the rear of that car-none.

Back