Elio Motors. Would you buy one?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We do not have Pep Boys here
frown.gif

The prototype is powered by the carbourated 3-cyl Suzuki engine and auto trans from the Swift/Geo Metro.

They are developing their own proprietary 3cyl for Production Models.

I say why waste all that r&d $$ on a NEW engine, when Ford has a not quite as new, well received (in most accounts) 1.0l(999cc) ecoboost 3cyl, cranking out 120hp stock, but a quick software tune can take that to 167 so i'm sure it could probably be tuned down for less HP/more MPGs as well, since Elio's Goal is that 84mpg they set for themselves.

Would I buy one?

Absolutely not! I'm not interested in being crammed into the smallest vehicle that's humanly possible to get into. I'd rather have technology provide the necessary efficiency.

There are great "real" alternatives to lightweight vehicles that actually achieve great MPG. The Prius comes to mind, as does the Tesla, Volt, Leaf, Ford's various offerings and so on.

Last edited:
It makes sense for someone out in the country with a long commute. As a big city commuter, I'd say no. Being in stop & go traffic with distracted drivers and big rigs might be a little too scary. It's a cheap new car - if it actually achieves 84mpg, it will sell.

84mpg & < $7k to buy new? I'll let someone else debug the car. And I too often need four doors--right now, I need four doors 4 days out of my 5 day commute (pick up kids on way home).

But it might make a nice disposable appliance (egads! the a word) for those long commuters. Buy new, drive for 100k, flip for pennies before anything expensive breaks. Repeat.

Originally Posted By: earlyre
The prototype is powered by the carbourated 3-cyl Suzuki engine and auto trans from the Swift/Geo Metro.

They are developing their own proprietary 3cyl for Production Models.

I say why waste all that r&d $$ on a NEW engine, when Ford has a not quite as new, well received (in most accounts) 1.0l(999cc) ecoboost 3cyl, cranking out 120hp stock, but a quick software tune can take that to 167 so i'm sure it could probably be tuned down for less HP/more MPGs as well, since Elio's Goal is that 84mpg they set for themselves.

Now I know they're not for real. They can't develop their own engine and set up manufacturing for it, and still sell the car for $8000.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
I am interested in them. I do worry about the number of delays. When they first hit the media they were saying late 2013, then late 2014, now i hear sometime in 2015.

Are the delays on them, or gov't approval delays?

I drive 9 miles a day to work. That means I could go 2 weeks on one gallon. I'd consider it if they prove reliable.

If we didn't have kids, it would be an interesting choice for a second car. I'd do a serious comparison between the Elio and an old mtx Honda Insight though.

Watching in that video ... it has a 3 speed automatic without lockup torque converter? Seems like they'd be able to get better mileage if it at least had a lockup torque converter?

And that engine didn't sound too healthy. Had a bit of valve tick or something going on.

Originally Posted By: Miller88

And that engine didn't sound too healthy. Had a bit of valve tick or something going on.

That engine is out of an old Geo Metro , the production engine is still in development.

I would not buy one. Not that I necessarily don't like them, but I prefer my vehicles to be multi-use. This is one reason why I don't have a motorcycle. Not that I wouldn't like to ride, but I choose not to have that much money tied up in something that can't carry our whole family.

More useful to me than a motorcycle, but doesnt interest me enough. I'm sure it could sway some would-be motorcycle riders. No worry about laying it down or getting wet in rain.

Segways dont tip over. I wonder if this has some sort of compensation for not rolling it catastrophically? Either way its a huge upgrade from a motorcycle while still being inexpensive and getting silly good mpg.

Since its a three wheeler it doesn't have to meet any crash regulations. I'd love to see what it would look like after it meets a Suburban at 40.

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
Since its a three wheeler it doesn't have to meet any crash regulations. I'd love to see what it would look like after it meets a Suburban at 40.

At least on a motorcycle you're (hopefully) wearing safety gear and have the possibility of being thrown clear. Nothing like being belted into the little thing, no safety gear, no crash regulations... yikes.

Originally Posted By: BowNisPar
Originally Posted By: hattaresguy

At least on a motorcycle you're (hopefully) wearing safety gear and have the possibility of being thrown clear. Nothing like being belted into the little thing, no safety gear, no crash regulations... yikes.
Elio says they're going to crash safety test it as if it were under car regulations. Also it has lots of airbags, a tough roof, and a seat belt. I watched a guy get killed wearing all of his safety stuff on a motorcycle last year. A helmet doesn't stop 50 mph into the side of a pickup from messing up your head.

Well than how can they sell it so cheap? I smell vaporware.

I'd be very interested in the crash test dummy data for this say a normal mid sized car like a Mercedes E350 or a Lexus ES.

Gas ain't that expensive.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back