Elf Molygraphite 10W30 Engine Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
I think id rather have some esters doing that work, but it would be interesting to see some UOAs from it in use.

JMH

Scares me and I'm fearless. Solid graphite and Moly.
gr_eek2.gif
What other specs. does it have other than SJ?

Conjures up images of the old ARCO Graphite with Slick 50 added.
crushedcar.gif

Sounds like the stuff they sold when I was a kid driving my 1950 ford. It was called "AUTO MOLY" the merical(sp)of ball bearings in a can. I think it sold for one dollar and 30wt oil was 30 cents.

Anyboy used this oil before?

Solid graphite lubricant???

----
Elf Molygraphite 10W30 Engine Oil (3 litres)
Exclusive lubrication technology from Elf... incorporating solid lubricants of graphite and molybdenum disulphite. Available in 3 litre pack.

Key Features
Viscosity rating of 10W30.
Provide excellent thermal and oxidation stability.
Reinforced with dispersing and detergent properties.
Superior anti-wear properties.
High shear stability ... providing optimum lubrication at low and high temperature.
Suitable for all gasoline/petrol engine from 600 cc.
Benefits
Noticeable decrease in wear and tear due to cold start, especially in the morning.
Better lubrication at all times increases engine efficiency, better fuel consumption.
Maintain engine in silent operating condition.
Added protection from graphite and molybdenum provide better protection and increase reliability of moving parts.
Keeps engine in clean under all operating conditions.
API: SJ

Popularly sold in Malaysia due to the Amway Multi Level Marketing.

In-Laws using them, think 15W50... would reckon too thick for their usual up the hill driving conditions....

quote:

Originally posted by haley10:
Conjures up images of the old ARCO Graphite with Slick 50 added.
crushedcar.gif

Now there's a blast from the past. I wonder if anyone on this board ever used Arco Graphite?

Guilty.

ARCO Graphite in a Toyota Corolla Wagon. Left the oil fill cap off once and sprayed ARCO Graphite all over the inside of the engine compartment. Stained the paint!

I'd hate to think what the internals of the engine would have been like then!

quote:

Originally posted by Neil Womack:
Guilty.

ARCO Graphite in a Toyota Corolla Wagon. Left the oil fill cap off once and sprayed ARCO Graphite all over the inside of the engine compartment. Stained the paint!

This is interesting. Sounds just like "Lubro Moly MoS2 Anti-Friction Super Motor Oil".
Check it out here:
 -

Lubro Moly also sells "MoS2 Anti-Friction Additive" that can be seen in the link above. Now I know Lubro Moly and Elf have stellar reputations in Europe, but from what I've read on this board, solid Moly is more of a gear oil additive and not neccesarily good for engines, causing excessive wear when too much is used.

[ November 20, 2004, 07:12 AM: Message edited by: rugerman1 ]

quote:

Originally posted by Lugosi:
This is interesting. Sounds just like "Lubro Moly MoS2 Anti-Friction Super Motor Oil".
Check it out here:
 -

Lubro Moly also sells "MoS2 Anti-Friction Additive" that can be seen in the link above. Now I know Lubro Moly and Elf have stellar reputations in Europe, but from what I've read on this board, solid Moly is more of a gear oil additive and not neccesarily good for engines, causing excessive wear when too much is used.

Is MoS2 similar to the Graphite present in the Elf Oil? Had thought Graphite is abrasive, so would that not cause more wear to the metals in an engine?

quote:

Originally posted by Neil Womack:
Guilty.

OUCH!!!!
shocked.gif
shocked.gif
shocked.gif

quote:

Is MoS2 similar to the Graphite present in the Elf Oil? Had thought Graphite is abrasive, so would that not cause more wear to the metals in an engine? [/QB]

Graphite is in no way abrasive until around 500°C.

quote:

Now there's a blast from the past. I wonder if anyone on this board ever used Arco Graphite?

yep, I swore it off when I saw the oil filter after using it. A capfull of the stuff probably would've been just about right.

quote:

I'm guilty as well. Used it for a while circa 1981 in my old '65 Coronet (kinda miss that car- very, very rare now but at least I still have the cylinder heads 21 years after departure).

That stuff fouled plugs like there was no tomorrow!!! However, this is probably somewhat tempered by the fact that I ran J18Y sparking plugs (the hottest plugs available at the time) in three of the cylinders, the guides were not properly redone. Even so, regular dino oil didn't cause anywhere near the problems. Carbon fouling on the plugs was certainly promoted by the graphite if you did not have a real tight engine.

Does anyone know the size of graphite particles used in Arco oil ?

Same question for graphite/MoS2 used in the molygraphite.

quote:

Originally posted by Ian:
Anyboy used this oil before?

Solid graphite lubricant???

----
Elf Molygraphite 10W30 Engine Oil (3 litres)
Exclusive lubrication technology from Elf... incorporating solid lubricants of graphite and molybdenum disulphite. Available in 3 litre pack.

Key Features
Viscosity rating of 10W30.
Provide excellent thermal and oxidation stability.
Reinforced with dispersing and detergent properties.
Superior anti-wear properties.
High shear stability ... providing optimum lubrication at low and high temperature.
Suitable for all gasoline/petrol engine from 600 cc.
Benefits
Noticeable decrease in wear and tear due to cold start, especially in the morning.
Better lubrication at all times increases engine efficiency, better fuel consumption.
Maintain engine in silent operating condition.
Added protection from graphite and molybdenum provide better protection and increase reliability of moving parts.
Keeps engine in clean under all operating conditions.
API: SJ

Love Elf, but would NOT touch this oil!

PS I just rechecked the listings on the Elf website and did not see this oil listed.

I dated a girl in high school whose dad worked for Arco. Yep, I ran ARCO Graphite in my Starsky and Hutch Pinto 'cause she was hot, her dad liked me, and it was free. Well maybe not quite free, she was pretty high maintenance.... Oh to be young and foolish again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back