Elf Excellium 5W-40?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have recently found some Elf 5W-40 Excellium LDX, has anyone had any good / bad experiences with this oil? It is on the VWoA recommended oil list?!

I think you would find it to be a great oil, but then I thought you would find GC to be a long-term relationship as well...

By the way, I thought you were crazy about your Pentosin...Quote from brianpavlovic: I just wanted to say thank you to everyone who has helped me understand oil much better and to comment on Pentosin Pentosynth 5W-40 that I am using in my 1.8T 05 GLI. I think I have found my summer oil. I would recommend this oil to anyone.
dunno.gif

[ May 26, 2005, 11:02 PM: Message edited by: pscholte ]

I would have stayed with my GC, but the new stuff is not the same as the green! I am still crazy about Pentosin and will use it, I just havn't seen Elf oils here in the states and I was just wondering. But for the record, Pentosin is whats "in" and I found GC's replacement!!!!!!

quote:

Originally posted by brianpavlovic:
I would have stayed with my GC, but the new stuff is not the same as the green! I am still crazy about Pentosin and will use it, I just havn't seen Elf oils here in the states and I was just wondering. But for the record, Pentosin is whats "in" and I found GC's replacement!!!!!!

bp,

What are you going to do if it turns out that the 0504 batch is green again? We have one member who says that's the case.

Labatt, thanks for posting those two links. The Elf 5w-40 looks outstanding. I spoke with a Laurent Siret, from Elf and he is very knowledgable with oils. I guy here in Philly carries Elf. I almost bought the 5w-30 SXR but it was a bit too pricey. The Accord will run long on any oil but for some cars, I'd highly consider Elf. The 5w-40 and 0w-30 (A3) would be ideal for LS1 engines IMO.

I have seen 0507 batches here in the Philadelphia Metro area. I secretly opened it up and pured alittle in the cap and it was amber, NOT GREEN!!!!!!!!! Pentosin makes a 0W-30 and I think I will try that in the winter. Why would Castrol change from green to amber by the way?

quote:

Originally posted by brianpavlovic:
I have seen 0507 batches here in the Philadelphia Metro area. I secretly opened it up and pured alittle in the cap and it was amber, NOT GREEN!!!!!!!!! Pentosin makes a 0W-30 and I think I will try that in the winter. Why would Castrol change from green to amber by the way?

brian,

It all depends on the specs they are blending to meet. If indeed 0502 and above are SLX LongTec and they are shooting to meet MB 229.5 and maybe BMWLL04, they may have had to change something...it does not mean it has "come down" from the level of performance of The Elixer; to treat this honestly, however, I must say that it is also possible that they found a cheaper way to meet the specs and this oil is not as good and that it, in fact, is not LongTec. I have seen a side by side VOA comparison of 0502 and LongTec and they are AWFULLY close in spec.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back