ELF 10W40 ST on a Daewoo Matiz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Miles on oil 4,000.
Miles on vehicle 110,000-114,000 .
Make up oil 0.5 lit.
Oil was in use during spring and the car was aggresively driven(above 4.000rpm, 50% of the time)
Analysis was performed by elf laboratories in Belgium free of cost under the ANAC program(they are testing for free their oil).

Wear
Iron 27
Lead 1
Copper 8
Tin Chromium 4
Aluminium 7
Nichel
Contamination
Si-Foreign 6 (
smile.gif
OEM filter with 40K on it !!)
Water % OK
Cooling Liq OK

Oil
Detergency OK
Visc.100 C 12.0 (starting visc. 14.8)

Wear coefficient 1,01 green color flag( there is a scale of 1,2,3,4) .

Comments
Satisfying diagnosis results. No deviations.
To allow a more precise diagnosis we ask you to note the correct engine type on the appropriate form.

Your viscosity dropped out of grade to a 30 weight, and iron wear seems high (although I don't know anything about your particular engine). Ring wear seems high too.

I'd suggest that you have some fuel dilution going on. It's a shame they didn't tell you the actual fuel dilution percentage. My guess is that it's above one percent.

It is 40K miles on the air filter simply becose i saw a test on Bitog a few years back , done in the laboratory by someone whose job is to test air filters and he showed us one with 60K miles on it almost in perfect condition.

Congratulations, you did it !
Would be interesting to see 5W-40. Is it Elf LDX ? As for air filter, I thought that its ageing leds to the better filtration to the detriment of a flow. Si is quite high, but I remember well, in respect of dust your roads are not of a hospital cleanliness. How about the use of salt during winters in Greece ?

I see that there are no full info analysis like the labs do in USA.
About air filter, my opinion is to change it every 20000Km because of the road's dust in Greece. I agree with Primus about Si. It comes -foreign Si- through air filter and probably from the winter's salt (there are Si on roads also from deposits of many modern raintyre compounds or from other physical sources).

Well, wanting to be fare i would like to add that i did the 120,000 mile service last week and we adjust the valves which indeed didn't seal properly. Obviously i was running rich and considering the additional abuse of the high revving and the old air filter i am happy with the UOA results above.
The engine was spotless inside as sb would expect from this B4/A3 ACEA approved oil changed at very conservative OCI's in the last 16 months.
A 5w40 porsche
laugh.gif
approved oil went in so i am expecting this tiny engine to last another 120.000 miles.

Iron,nickle,cromium and tin are high for such a short oil change interval. This means valvetrain wear! I really do not know this engine though so I have no point of reference for weather this is a normal signiture for this engine. Replace the airfilter and consider trying Elf 5W40. It should have a better additive package then their 10W40. I do not think the shearing is what caused the valvetrain wear since a 30wt. oil should be enough to protect the valvetrain. I suspect that the additive package for this oil is weak. Do you have the rest of the UOA like the additive levels? I am just guessing with out the actual numbers.

The air filter was replaced in summer after receiving this report so we covert this parameter. I finished the remaining elf stash i had, last month. The new oil has already have 2.000m as i changed it mayself prior the last service-tunning and it is motul 8100 , PORSCHE-02 (inkl. Cayenne).
Unfortunately these are the only numbers they sent me but the additive package has to be at least good. This oil (10W40) is officialy used in gas and diesel Renaults along with the Elf 5W40-5W30 by the dealers throughout Europe in 9.000m OCI.
Actually i was expecting its viscosity to be much lower judging from the way it looked ( watery and black) when i took the sample.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back