Elephant seals on the California coast

Was out yesterday with our granddaughter checking out the elephant seals. About 10 miles north of Cambria; a few miles north of Hearst Castle.

Enjoy,

Scott
IMG_4618.jpeg

IMG_4619.jpeg

IMG_4622.jpeg

I've lived in Cali for 62 years. Never before have I heard of so much shark activity than where we live now. On average it seems that 1 or 2 people a year get mauled or killed by a shark. What a terrifying thought.

Scott
It is terrifying indeed. More swimmers, especially inexperienced swimmers hit the waters at the wrong time - dawn, dusk or when seals 🦭 are around.

I've lived in Cali for 62 years. Never before have I heard of so much shark activity than where we live now. On average it seems that 1 or 2 people a year get mauled or killed by a shark. What a terrifying thought. I'd rather die in skydiving accident.

Scott
Beautiful pics. Been to Hearst Castle twice. Gorgeous area 🇺🇸🇨🇦🍺👍

Beautiful pics. Been to Hearst Castle twice. Gorgeous area 🇺🇸🇨🇦🍺👍
Not my picture but 4 or 5 years ago a fire came close to burning it down! Firefighting teams laid a large MILES LONG water pipe from either Lake San Antonio or Lake Nacimiento in something like 36 hours. This is not a flat area. It was an incredible effort! Amazing picture.

Scott
cover-1fire-hearst-8-25.jpg
HearstCastle-712894.jpg

Last edited:
The beautiful elephant seals "haul out" in only a couple of places in the world. Magnificent creatures. Huge...
The males fight for dominamce and their harem reward.

I highly recommend seeing them once in your life.

The beautiful elephant seals "haul out" in only a couple of places in the world. Magnificent creatures. Huge...

A must see indeed. It's mating season. The bulls mate prolifically. They will mate with a female who just got done giving birth, literally.

The bulls can be over 15 feet long and weigh more than 7,000 pounds. They are massive, aggressive creatures. And like Jeff said, they fight to keep other bulls away from the females.

Scott

Edit: A public service announcement. If you're coming in from the north, the Monterey area, Hwy 1 is closed at Miller's Point.

There’s nothing “Magnificent” about them. Just fat, big creatures trying to score with the girls. Nature 101.

And Sharks trying to eat lunch.

Back