Electrical wow šŸ˜® !!!

The church Iā€™m employed at is having the kitchen area remodeled in one of our buildings, so here goes. My coworker tagged receptacles and wrote on the block wall next to them the circuits theyā€™re associated with. Doesnā€™t matter walls will be studded and Sheetrocked no big deal writing on the walls.

Along with some other wonky wiring weā€™re finding this one wowed me. Thereā€™s a quad box with two receptacles marked 18/33, ok.. no. I go to the panel throw 18/33 off, first Iā€™m like ok they have two commercial refrigerators plugged in so separate circuits would be logical. Hereā€™s where it goes downhill.

I go back to the quad box pull the trim plate and use my volt stick the little ticker before pulling the receptacles out and find out thereā€™s still power. So I call my coworker over Iā€™m like dude you sure you got the correct circuits for this box, yes why? Well thereā€™s still power here. I leave 18/33 off get my plug in circuit sniffer plug it in sniff the panel I find another circuit this time breaker 20. Now Iā€™m getting suspicious because I know shared neutrals aka multi wire branch circuits you have to have a 2-pole double throw breaker with a common trip handle and based on these breakers be different circuits and singles Iā€™m like whatā€™s going on here? So now with breaker 20 off I head back to the quad box and hit it again with the volt stick bam Iā€™m still hot now Iā€™m like ***. use the plug in sniffer a 4th circuit. Well I find out there Is 3 neutrals in the quad box one wire nutted off in the back of the box.. on the receptacles the neutral jumper bars were not snapped off so the intent wasnā€™t 4 individual circuits and not enough neutrals. This was just very very bad workmanship and electrical practices of sharing neutrals none of the wires were identified in the raceway belonging to one group.

I rewired the junction box thatā€™s feeding the quad receptacles each receptacle will be on its own 20a circuit the third neutral and circuit is now an outside gfci receptacle and the 4th hot is disconnected at the panel and the junction box capped off with a wire nut.

Sorry for the rambling but this was something that was a wow moment.

In my current state no. I was the electrician for the school district I used to work at before relocating. We worked under the district didnā€™t need to be licensed.

As I understand it, in some states if you are doing electrical work on property owned by your employer you don't need to be a licensed electrician. You aren't a contractor.

As I understand it, in some states if you are doing electrical work on property owned by your employer you don't need to be a licensed electrician. You aren't a contractor.
No Iā€™m employed there in the maintenance department

The question was not a legality question.

It is a knowledge thing.
A licensed electrician has to have 8000 hrs OJT before he qualifies to take the test.
Any electrician can read and know he is not an electrician.

The question was not a legality question.

It is a knowledge thing.
A licensed electrician has to have 8000 hrs OJT before he qualifies to take the test.
Any electrician can read and know he is not an electrician.

Well, if you can read what he wrote and know that he's not an electrician, why did you ask if he has a license? Isn't that self-evident?

(I'd never make that assumption just on what someone wrote, the skills required to be a good writer and the skills required to be a good electrician are not the same)

Donā€™t know exactly how many hours I have in, never counted just 20 yrs working a long side licensed electricians I took electrical in a vocational trade school a long with separate certs for motors and controls. Could I pass the licensing? good chance I could, thereā€™s also a good chance someone can pass the licensing by book knowledge and having someone like a family member or friend whoā€™s licensed sign off they have the hours.

on the receptacles the neutral jumper bars were not snapped off so the intent wasnā€™t 4 individual circuits and not enough neutrals.

That wouldn't have been permitted by code if it had been done that way. You aren't allowed to have two circuits connected to the same yoke.

So you can't break the neutral and hot jumper bars and feed the top receptacle from one circuit and feed the bottom receptacle from another circuit.

Reactions: JC1
I donā€™t exactly know what the previous electrician ā€œinstallerā€ intended I just know what was going on at the panel and receptacle end wasnā€™t following 210.4

Just that you may not be required to have a license to do the work you were doing.
As far as I know, since he is employed by them...and he is working on their property, he does not have to be licensed.
Some companies will have a licensed company come in occasionally and spot check work and semi go over the recent work.

If I read the rules right, if you have a maintenance contract of 1 yr or more you may not be required to have a license.

But there have been lots of changes over the years.
Most of them have loosened up the rules on who can do what.

Not necessarily a good thing.

As far as I know, since he is employed by them...and he is working on their property, he does not have to be licensed.
Some companies will have a licensed company come in occasionally and spot check work and semi go over the recent work.

If I read the rules right, if you have a maintenance contract of 1 yr or more you may not be required to have a license.

But there have been lots of changes over the years.
Most of them have loosened up the rules on who can do what.

Not necessarily a good thing.
If the work gets the approval of the local building code inspector it must be good šŸ™„.

Back