Electric motor oil recommendation

I have a 75hp electric motor that has the following name tag and was wondering if anyone could recommend an oil The motor will be operated in 60-100 degree ambient temperatures

Attachments

• CAFFC3AA-E1B1-4560-9B6F-78A1459DDCAE.jpeg
    CAFFC3AA-E1B1-4560-9B6F-78A1459DDCAE.jpeg
    153.1 KB · Views: 95
I think it tells you right on the tag, ISO 32/68 or your choice of grades. This is generally sold as hydraulic fluid.
Now if you'd like a brand recommendation, I'm a fan of Valvoline. But whatever you can get locally will work just fine.

Basically just hydraulic oil but you can use anything thin you want like ATF. These motors don't get hot at all so the oil doesn't thin. If I'm not mistaken zddp isn't safe for the yellow metals which can be inside the motor but hydraulic oil and atf have about none. Motor oil and I believe power steering fluid as well do have zddp so I probably wouldn't put them in.

Thanks for the feedback. I’m somewhat familiar with turbine oil and it is really different with the additives and when the name plate says turbine oil I just wanted to make sure. This lubes the upper shaft bearing as well as the thrust shoes or bearing.

Thanks for the feedback. I’m somewhat familiar with turbine oil and it is really different with the additives and when the name plate says turbine oil I just wanted to make sure. This lubes the upper shaft bearing as well as the thrust shoes or bearing.
This seems like a good option. https://www.lowes.com/pd/PRO-SELECT-1-Gallon-AW-32-Hydraulic-Oil/1053693
Home depot also sells an equivalent but not for shipping only pickup https://www.homedepot.com/s/hydraulic%20oil?NCNI-5

My log splitter calls for ISO 32. It also can use ATF.

Maxlife seems like a good choice. Full synthetic, cheap, close in viscosity to ISO 32, and easy to find. There’s also Mobil Delvac ATF, but it’s double the price.

I called a guy I know that works for a motor shop and he said they use Chevron Regal R&O 32 in most everything. My oil supplier said that Mobil DTE light is the same and he had it in stock. According to this chart it should work. Thanks

Attachments

• B9F28811-EF6C-4461-A0E2-B41ACBCC2DD5.jpg
    B9F28811-EF6C-4461-A0E2-B41ACBCC2DD5.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 34
i know this is a old thread,at work we had a couple large old fan motors and straight 30 wt oil mixed with half marvel mystery oil,,,they used this for years like this

i know this is a old thread,at work we had a couple large old fan motors and straight 30 wt oil mixed with half marvel mystery oil,,,they used this for years like this
Why use MMO with a 30 grade oil when MMO will thin it below a 30 grade?

this is one of the issues that ,as the way we always do it,the motors are in a penthouse,allis chalmers,low er speen DC,have slinger rings,,we also used this oil blend in felt lubed fractional motors,and elevator motors as other applications.seems to be about a #20 wt when mixed together

My point was, that unless you tested a number of mixes for its final viscosity how did you know how much MMO to add?

I would err on the high side of ISO68 since heat may very well thin it out below the ISO number listed on the tag.

Back