Electric Handwarmer Sticky Button

gathermewool

Site Donor 2023
Summary: looking for cleaner/lube to fix sticky button

I bought some cheap electric hand warmers a while back, because my wife doesn’t like the Zippo ones. I expected them to live a short life, but theyre still going strong - lots of heat and battery life is good.

Problem: there’s only one button to perform several functions: turn it on/off, change heat setting, check battery level. You press twice quickly to see the battery level, long press once to turn it on low, and then quick press to set the heat output. One of the buttons has been a bit sticky from soon after I got it and the other isn’t great. If you’re not careful it’ll stick in the depressed position, meaning it’ll inadvertently turn on while trying to check the battery level or turn off while changing the heat settings. It’s perfectly useable, but not ideal.

Would something like electrical parts cleaner (no residue) work? I obviously dont want residue or to attract dirt with some sort of lube, and I don’t want to damage anything. I have graphite lube (spray can with non-residue forming propellant), but I’m unsure if it’s ideal due to how small the button is and how tight the clearances around the button are.

Just like sticky buttons in a vehicle's center console, I try water to clean first if possible.
Address sticky residue first. Consider lube after it's all dry.

Don't omit the chance of any button on a cheap anything being damaged (overly hard press?) or plain failure.

I’m not convinced there’s residue in there. It appears that the fit may be too tight. The second warmer is better, but still feels off.

Would swabbing with alcohol be better than water?

I also just remembered that I have those electronics wipes that are meant for laptops and TV screens. I wonder if that would work.

Sure. Your alcohol will be part water.
Would an electronic wipe reach where needed? What battery size/type? rechargable?

Battery is an internally sealed 5200 mah li-ion.

You may be right about the wipes; they’re more damp than wet.

I don’t know which percentage IPA I have. I would think it would evaporate quicker and be safer than straight water. what do you thlink?

Dang I just checked Amazon and I’ve had these since 12/2018! It’s not even available on Amazon any more.

Eyeglass lens wipes? Hand warmers are great to have.

That’s not a bad idea. Hand warmers are amazing. Even with gloves my hands get cold when outside for an extended period of time.

I ended up splurging for the Deluxe Ariens with heated handle bars and it’s awesome! I don’t even wear gloves while snow blowing! The exertion helps warm me up, too, to be fair.

That’s not a bad idea. Hand warmers are amazing. Even with gloves my hands get cold when outside for an extended period of time.

I ended up splurging for the Deluxe Ariens with heated handle bars and it’s awesome! I don’t even wear gloves while snow blowing! The exertion helps warm me up, too, to be fair.
Yes. Hand warmers are excellent for turning your pockets into a warm safe, haven. For occasional exposure, such as my crossing guard duties, it almost eliminates the need for bulky gloves.

A picture of the type of button would be helpful. I'm inclined to blast any sticky electronics with plastic-safe contact cleaner.

Definitely do not use graphite.

Attachments

• 2FC360DA-CAE0-48F2-807D-733F0EAB650A.jpeg
    2FC360DA-CAE0-48F2-807D-733F0EAB650A.jpeg
    75.6 KB · Views: 9
I would give it a shot of contact cleaner or if you can dampen the corner of a business card with alcohol to clean the groove.

May just be made to tight, could slide some 1000 grit between the housing and button and go around a few times.

Yea, have the same type, charging now. Perhaps use a sharp toothpick to push a cleaning wipe of your choice into the gap around the button and the housing. Good luck! They’re good to have.

Attachments

• 21D800E9-F1D7-4FF2-BBE4-13A2AFDB5A37.jpeg
    21D800E9-F1D7-4FF2-BBE4-13A2AFDB5A37.jpeg
    96.7 KB · Views: 3
I always use rubbing alcohol. Works pretty well even if you can only dribble some on.

I’m not convinced there’s residue in there. It appears that the fit may be too tight. The second warmer is better, but still feels off.

Would swabbing with alcohol be better than water?

I also just remembered that I have those electronics wipes that are meant for laptops and TV screens. I wonder if that would work.
I've used electronics cleaner sprayed onto a Q-tip.

Back