Electric Edger

CKN

I was wondering if anyone uses an electric rechargeable edger/weed wacker. I need something easy to use-I have neighbor kids mow my lawn when we go away on our RV trips-so I need to make it as easy as possible.

Any suggestions would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!

I use a Ryobi 40v that takes attachments. I haven't run down the battery yet, and my yard is pretty good sized. (About an acre roughly)

It's so much easier on the ears than a 2 cycle piece smoke job. And the power is about the same. Not sure how long it will last, but it was pretty cheap on sale.

(I already had the 40v chainsaw and hedge clipper, so it was a no brainer for me.)

Depends on what you mean by edger. If you just mean a weedwacker turned sideways, a reasonably priced cordless can do that. If you mean digs a long lasting blade into the ground to provide a hard edge, you need a ~1.5 HP minimum gas edger to do that.

Weed wacker duty alone, sure a cordless can do that fine for grass and non-woody vegetation, with the 40V significantly closer to 2 cycle gas power. They are not as powerful as a commercial grade 2 cycle but can still get the job done if you don't have a lot needing more than a few tens of minutes use between recharges.

Are you already invested in a cordless tool set, maybe even one with 40V batteries? You can still get a bit done with 18V, but you might want to buy from somewhere with a good return policy.

Last edited:
I use several cordless tools with good success, but none of the chargers (all same brand) can be left UN-attended for long periods without causing damage. If the neighbor kids are really reliable, then go for it. Another thought: can't the edging be left undone while you are gone?

I was wondering if anyone uses an electric rechargeable edger/weed wacker. I need something easy to use-I have neighbor kids mow my lawn when we go away on our RV trips-so I need to make it as easy as possible.

They are pretty useless. I’ve been there and done that.

I've been using the worx 20v weed trimmer for years now. Just replaced the string,charge it and go!

I use several cordless tools with good success, but none of the chargers (all same brand) can be left UN-attended for long periods without causing damage. If the neighbor kids are really reliable, then go for it. Another thought: can't the edging be left undone while you are gone?
In theory it could be. The trip will be a month long. A soon as it warms up-you can really cut the lawn twice a week. But I will be asking for a once a week cut. SO-the parts where you can't mow-around the brick patio, along the fence would probably be at least 6 to 8 inches tall upon our return.

Back