Elantra or PT Cruiser?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm helping a car-challenged friend buy a used car. It's come down to a choice between a 2004 Hyundai Elantra or a 2004 PT Cruiser. Both are one owner, low mileage cars in excellent looking condition. Both have 5-speeds. I'm just wondering if anybody knows of any engine-related issues with either of these cars? I know the Cruisers have lousy gas mileage for that kind of car. But as far as engine longevity and reliability, does anyone know if either one of these have any skeletons in the closet? Excessive oil usage? I don't need suggestions to look at something else or any fanboy bashing. Just any pertinent constructive criticism of these two cars or their engines. Thanks.

We rented a PT a while back and I thought it was a great car for what it was. I know Consumers Reports shows owner repair experience to be very positive. If you intend to keep it over 100K, I think the PT would treat you a little better than the Hyundai. I will say the Koreans have come a long way over the past fifteen or so years to a point where I would consider purchasing one.

I had a 99 elantra for 6 years put 121,ooo miles on it before i traded. Never had any major issues,engine was still stong.I think there a lot better now.

We have a 2001 PT bought new. It has always used oil, but have no idea if that is common. Otherwise it has been good for 52K, recently had to replace brakes. The car is too heavy, probably why it gets poor gas mileage. Tranny feels good, (manual), but for some reason I hate to drive it. My wife loves it. Blind spots make lane changes difficult. Engine access is very crouwded, recently began making a noise and I was looking for the belt, you can't hardly see the thing. If any repairs were needed in there I would think it would be expensive. No experience w/Hyundais, but what Russ said.

From my and my father's experience

PT Cruiser 25 mpg
Elantra 35 mpg

Elantra 100K mile/60 second owner
PT No idea

Ride. You will get alot more in the Elantra than you will in the PT. The only PT I would drive would be the 2.4 boosted one. I think they are ugly as sin.

We are on our third Elantra. My parents haven't until now, bought from the same car company twice in a row. They will probably buy another one if te prices stay relative to where they are.

Make sure the Elantra gets the TSB's done, and keep reciepts on oil changes.

Aside from that, drive it like you want to. Our first Elantra went 112K miles, second one was totalled at 85K, and this one, an auto GT, is working fast to 20K.

No oil usage on any of them that I remember. No real maintenence ever aside from 3K oil changes and tires.

For my money, I would pick up the Elantra, sleep better for the rest of the 60K miles I have on the car, and be happy that a cancerous growth is not parked in my driveway with a Chrysler badge on it.

Skeletons for the Elantra would be that the 2004 is the first year for the CVVT, but I don't know of any problems with it. Some people have had headlights go out fast, but that is a warranty thing, so just go back and get it fixed. I would just make sure that you keep your oil reciepts, because they are very picky about them for warranty.

My mom has an '02 PT Cruiser. Before that they had a Buick Park Avenue with the 3.8L V6. Dad says PT gets much worse gas mileage than what the Park Avenue got. They currently have about 70K miles on the vehicle. They had the transmission serviced not too long ago and the mechanic said it was in really good condition; something he doesn't see often with PT Cruisers. Personally, I think the 4-cyl is quite loud and buzzy.

The problems they've had with it: 1) had to have the lower control arm and other bushings replaced 2) Some sort of solenoid in the trans replaced 3) Trans. gasket replaced b/c of leak.

Other than those items, my mom has really enjoyed it. Dad on the other hand doesn't care for it, mostly b/c it's a Chrysler.

I don't have any experience with Hyundai.

Go with the Elantra. our 2003 is at 45k miles. no problems, nothing so far. gas mileage is great. and looks good, too
smile.gif
my wife is very happy with it. The dealer has been nice and attentive, too.

My brother in law has a 2004 (?) PT cruiser, with the turbo. every time i rode in it, i felt the vibration of the engine everywhere when idling, especially...and at that time it had like only 100 miles (only 2-3 days old) on it. way too loud, and the dash is ugly(a matter of taste, though). To tell you the truth my 1997 Tbird with more than 100k miles felt quieter, and smoother at idle, not to mention the 45k mile Elantra too.
(However, he has not had any mechnical prob's with the PT so far, afaik)

Two different types of cars.

The Elantra would be the better choice.
Better warranty (10yr-100K miles) and MPG's.

As I understand it, that Elantra you're looking at has basically a clone of the old Mitsu 4-cylinder that they put in the Elipse, both naturally aspirated and turbo. I'm not certain how related it is to the current Evo engine, but I wouldn't be surprised if there were some similarities.

A very stout little engine.

The new world engine, as noted above, was designed by Hyundai and will be used by DCX as noted, but that's a different engine.

Actually the new world engine was co developed with DC version having most design work done in house at the Chrysler Group. engine will be manufactured at Dundee plant.

http://www.allpar.com/mopar/world-engine.html

Per the 2.4 in the PT, I have one in a PTGT

Very strong and durable engine. I dynoed mine and got 227WHP and 254 WTQ. SRT4 crowd push em over 400WHP before any problems.

My PT is fully loaded 5 spd. gets about 25 MPG highway and 23sh all around. Have about 45K miles and not one single problem. Go visit some of the PT boards most people love me, especially the sticks and turbo models. good little car with a loyal fan base.

Elantra! Neons are not being sold with hyundai engines. Are you talking about the "world engine" that dodge, hyundai, and mitsubishi co-deveolped that is going into the new dodge calibre?

I have no info about the Hyundai (except that its engine IS NOT AND HAS NEVER BEEN USED IN A NEON). The PT's engine, and transmission for that matter, is bulletproof and will last forever given normal book maintenance.

That's for your replies. He bought the Elantra. It's actually a pretty nice little car.

I have a 1999 Hyundai Tiburon with the same 2.0L engine. It has 103,000 miles and its still strong.(but I take very good care of it). We almost of the identical 5 speed, but the Elantras have a lower 4th and 5th gear than mine.

Korean redneck, do you happen to have the specs on those in front of you? I would like to know the differences in the two, in case I ever decide to pick up a manual Elantra and want better cruising gears.

I recently saw an 04 Elantra with over 100K on it recently and it was really in fine shape.The owner commented it had never gone back to the dealer once.

Alan, is that normal? I thought most of those kind of engines needed new timing belts after 60-80K or so? Wouldn't he void his warranty if he didn't get scheduled maintenance done?

I think its 90K miles for timing belt, and I don't think you have to go to the dealer for a timing belt. I would have taken it back for several TSB's though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back