Effects of going 10k on conv oil in Hyun 3.3?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We were looking at a very clean 2008 Hyundai Sonata w/ the 3.3 v6. Everything looks great on it (39k miles) BUT the last oil change sticker showed due on 7/4/08 @ 33k. Since the sticker was not replaced I'm presuming we might be looking at about 10k on that oil. It's really dark.

It has been driven by the sales manager for about a year and put about 10k on it. It came from a fleet auction w/ records up to that point. All the other 30k items seem to be in order (coolant, air filter, etc).

I have read that the 3.3 is easy on oil, could 10k on conventional do enough damage to cause problems?

hoping not, we really like the car.. but..

Our family has a Mazda6 with the 2.3 that sees anywhere from 5- 7,000 miles on conventional, including a good amount of stop and go with some highway and rural driving. its never been a problem, and the engine still purrs with 120,000 miles on the clock. in fact, the last fill was Chevron Supreme 5w-20 dino oil that was in there for 7k miles and it still had a faint yellow glow when it came out (using a fram filter by the way
crazy2.gif
). if the engine is easy on oil, you should have no worries. Those Sonata's are nice cars by the way. Happy car shopping!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ARB1977
Take a peak under the oil cap and see what you find.

good point. if the car was used on a lot of short trips, you'll see a milky buildup on the bottom of the oil cap. look for the same under the dipstick cap. this isn't always the best indication though, because sometimes i take long highway drives, and i'll check the dipstick and it'll be clean. come back a week later and check after a few days of short trips, and the milky buildup might be back... so its not always the most accurate gauge, but it cant hurt to check.

Originally Posted By: mh2800
We were looking at a very clean 2008 Hyundai Sonata w/ the 3.3 v6. Everything looks great on it (39k miles) BUT the last oil change sticker showed due on 7/4/08 @ 33k. Since the sticker was not replaced I'm presuming we might be looking at about 10k on that oil. It's really dark.

It has been driven by the sales manager for about a year and put about 10k on it. It came from a fleet auction w/ records up to that point. All the other 30k items seem to be in order (coolant, air filter, etc).

I have read that the 3.3 is easy on oil, could 10k on conventional do enough damage to cause problems?

Dark oil is not always an indication of it's "health". If the previous, I'm assuming 30,000 miles worth of oil changes, met the manufacture's specs for oil changes you should be OK for "1" extra long run. Of course if it was 10,000 miles of highway on dino that would be "easier" on the oil than 10,000 miles of many cold and repeated starts.

Either way have them change the oil and filter and you change it again with fresh quality oil and filter in about 500 to 1,000 mies. This will help clean somewhat the engine for the neglected oil change. Do you know what Hyundai's oil change interval is? Since the car is low mileage you could always do an ARX treatment. This will clean the engine safely. Look for our site sponsor for info. Many people use the product and are satisfied with the results.

Good luck with the car!

Whimsey

Tell the dealer that he is going to have to knock $1000 off the price becasue he missed an oil change. Then put in some synthetic oil to clean out any problems and you will be fine.

Originally Posted By: ARB1977
Take a peak under the oil cap and see what you find.

Did that - just some darkish oil. No yellow-brown crud or anything. Down the filler hole looks like clean metal for the most part.

Originally Posted By: Whimsey

Dark oil is not always an indication of it's "health". If the previous, I'm assuming 30,000 miles worth of oil changes, met the manufacture's specs for oil changes you should be OK for "1" extra long run. Of course if it was 10,000 miles of highway on dino that would be "easier" on the oil than 10,000 miles of many cold and repeated starts.

Either way have them change the oil and filter and you change it again with fresh quality oil and filter in about 500 to 1,000 mies. This will help clean somewhat the engine for the neglected oil change. Do you know what Hyundai's oil change interval is? Since the car is low mileage you could always do an ARX treatment. This will clean the engine safely. Look for our site sponsor for info. Many people use the product and are satisfied with the results.

Good luck with the car!

Whimsey

Their stated interval is 3k. I have a bunch of PP 5/30 I'd like to use, but seems like I might just be wasting it a bit there.

Originally Posted By: Mark888
Tell the dealer that he is going to have to knock $1000 off the price becasue he missed an oil change. Then put in some synthetic oil to clean out any problems and you will be fine.

hmmm
20.gif

I go 10k on conventional oil all of the time.

The Sonata V6 has a 6 qt sump and a top-mounted cartridge filter. It should be fine.

The transmission on the other hand, has some really strange programming.

A new healthy engine will allow somewhat longer OCIs.
You probably have no problems from this [possible] 10,000 mile oil, but I would not go that long intentionally in the future.

I wouldn't plan on anything that long. I'd probably stick with the documented OCI for the remainder of the warranty period. Going back this evening to talk final details and see how it goes.

You are fine... Just have it changed out with a quality dino motor oil and a good filter right away and run that one for a short interval of say 3K miles (5K KM) and then resume normal OCI as stated in the manual if you use dino or double the manuals OCI if you use a synthetic and aren't driving in the severe service category.

I run double the recommended OCI with synthetic in my Santa Fe and haven't had any problems. My UOA's are very good too!

Those engines are extremely easy on oil. Sleep Easy!
grin2.gif

If it makes you feel better, have them write down on the bill of sale that the last oil change wasn't done on time before you purchased the vehicle. That way if something lubrication related happens you have proof that it wasn't necessarily your fault.

+1 If they did do the change make them prove it....the entertainment value of watching the salesman fidget will be worth it...
crazy2.gif

As long as they give you (in writing) assurance that your warranty will be honored...

No PROBLEM!

Cheers!

Originally Posted By: PT1

+1 If they did do the change make them prove it....the entertainment value of watching the salesman fidget will be worth it...
crazy2.gif

Called themup this morning and expressed my concern.. got the usual stuff from the sales guy 'regular oil can go 7500 no problem so maybe at 10k it's getting a bit THIN,but you're good'. Further expressed my concern and told them I'd have to think about it -- about 10 minutes later the 'sales manager' calls and offers 750 off (but no offer to change it themselves).
LOL.gif

Think we'll hit it for the bottom line - price between rough trade-in and wholesale.. beautiful car inside and out, autocheck is clean and nice 1 owner. Yes they are hurting in sales (7 cars this week so far) - it's a Chrysler/Dodge dealer.

Originally Posted By: PT1

crazy2.gif

oh I know all about that kind of fun -- when I hit about 18 my parents started letting me negotiate w/ the salesman for them.

Let's just say I wasn't afraid to tell them 'lets go to St Louis (biggest city nearby) and see what they can do' or do the walk-out while writing our # on their business card.

Didn't ALWAYS get the car at the time, but I know the ones we did get were right at that imaginary line of getting someone fired for selling it too cheap. Our money - better in our pocket.

Some of the tactics I've seen over the years...

Going back this afternoon to hopefully seal it up. Wish me luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
With that much mileage on an '08, it was probably mostly highway mileage - it'll be fine.

Good luck with the deal.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
With that much mileage on an '08, it was probably mostly highway mileage - it'll be fine.

Good luck with the deal.

In service date was 6/13/2007, manufacture date was 5/17/07. Thanks for the thoughts!

After 2hrs almost of sitting in the sales office, reminding them 2 times about the discount of 750 and some other paperwork screw-ups, we finally hit the F&I office.

HAH. I bet he hated me by the time we left. They had a 'service contract' all done up, with my name on it, the '3yr/30k' box checked and a price at the bottom of 2,195.
crackmeup2.gif
Nixed that in a heartbeat as it duplicated most if not all the Hyundai 5/60 warranty that remains on the vehicle.

Then there was a 'dent and ding protection/wheel/rim/windshield and towing package' for 249.
crazy2.gif
Shut that one down in a hurry too, $50 deductible, say what? VIN etching for 149..
48.gif
huh?

I hate the F&I office, just a bit more than sales. I honestly do.

Anyway, got the paperwork done, finally got the plates on it and love it. Has been pouring rain all afternoon/evening so I haven't gotten to do anything with it yet.

Bottom line, the sales mgr was unhappy because:

1. discount of 750 for no documented oil change(s)
2. we paid by our own check (no kickback from a bank to them)
3. turned down the service contract
4. turned down the dent/ding/wheel/tire/windshield racket
5. turned down the VIN etching for 149.99

No one had a gun to anyone - so all in all, an awesome deal when I compare prices on ebay, locally and in a nearby large city.

Feeling good about it, wanting to do the a/f replacement, oil change (dino for 500, waiting on filter replace when the PP goes in).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back