Effective use of charging time outside home

All I can tell you is, when people ride in our car, first they are shocked at the acceleration, but they often comment on the music clarity and accuracy. It is very very good. Wifey and I go out on Sundays to pick up a Chai, listen to the streamed music and talk.
We just saw John Mellancamp's current tour (not to be missed) and have been replaying his stuff to re-live the show.
I don't disagree with that. I'm sure it has the edge in clarity from my experience. I'm just one of those idiots that wants my braincells rearranged with dirty bass. Eventually I'll be driving a Tesla too. It just won't be anytime soon with current interest rates unless I have cash to buy. Borrowed cheap money is gone right now and I'm not in a hurry. I put a rather large chunk down on our current one to lower the borrowed amount because interest rates were already on the climb at the time. They're both excellent cars and I love them both for different reasons.

I don't, but I've been in higher Tesla's and they went a bit ridiculous on the Fender VW system. I wouldn't call the standard system bad, it just doesn't have the same impact. It's still clear and accurate. I would think I would give the edge to the highs on the Premium Tesla system, but the bass is just stupid on the VW and I'm a bass head. I used to build ridiculous car audio systems and was involved in helping build some competition level cars. I'd go even further in my current car, but I don't want to give up the cargo space. My 13 year old is techno artist that goes by Bass-ed on Spotify and Apple Music and she uses my car as the the test bed to make sure it hits low and hard enough. 😂

VW has went to a new system in the current generation Golf and it hasn't lived up the the version. You'd think they'd stick with the good stuff instead of reengineering to something that doesn't perform as well.
Fender in the 2017 GLI in my sig is nothing to write home about. VW did better with the Monsoon systems in the MKIV and B5/B5.5 cars. Fender system just seems to throw bass to be "premium".

I know people crap on Bose but I have to say I would rather hear clear mids and highs than be overridden by the lows.

Fender in the 2017 GLI in my sig is nothing to write home about. VW did better with the Monsoon systems in the MKIV and B5/B5.5 cars. Fender system just seems to throw bass to be "premium".

I know people crap on Bose but I have to say I would rather hear clear mids and highs than be overridden by the lows.
Bose is good. The tuning between the GLI and GTI is pretty dramatic though. I want to like the GLI but they've went out of their way to water down the product. The DSG tuning and the stereo lag behind the GTI. I don't understand why either, though a Jetta GLI Autobahn is almost $10k cheaper than a GTI Autobahn. They must have cut corners somewhere to get there and as far as car reviewers have said, the transmission never really acts as full manual mode like the GTI does. The GLI won't let you get to the limiter or even bang the revs off the limiter. It's a great car, but just a less raw experience across the board.

While I would not want to do this all the time I think the 20-30 mins you are sitting at a charger can be used effectively to shop, eat and also do painful things like a test drive ….

Just what Americans need to do more of shop and eat. More unhealthy food and buy more crap they dont need. Then they wonder why they live paycheck to paycheck

Just what Americans need to do more of shop and eat. More unhealthy food and buy more crap they dont need. Then they wonder why they live paycheck to paycheck

So you don't grab a snack on a long trip when putting fuel in your vehicle? This isn't a daily occurrence.

So you don't grab a snack on a long trip when putting fuel in your vehicle? This isn't a daily occurrence.
As a matter of fact we dont. We drive from NJ to West Palm yearly. We pack a cooler with some fresh fruit yogurt couple of drinks. Most of the snacks are really bad choices. 42% of americans are obese per the CDC. Just look at those who attend and F1 races vs a NASCAR race and tell me Americans need more fast food and snacks. Heck I like McD's a couple of times a year but not much good food on the road.

As a matter of fact we dont. We drive from NJ to West Palm yearly. We pack a cooler with some fresh fruit yogurt couple of drinks. Most of the snacks are really bad choices. 42% of americans are obese per the CDC. Just look at those who attend and F1 races vs a NASCAR race and tell me Americans need more fast food and snacks. Heck I like McD's a couple of times a year but not much good food on the road.

Ok so I'm a fat ass for grabbing a snack when I charge my car on a long trip? I'm pretty active. I don't eat junk food. This really the half cocked weird angle you're going to take on charging? I really don't get why everyone has to have some asinine approach to something they don't understand. I spend more time overall at a gas station in my fuel sipping VW than I do in my Tesla because I can't fill the VW at home. I may use public charging 1-2 times a month. If I can make the round trip without charging it happens in my garage for pennies on what it cost to put gas in my other car. Your 1% of the time on a road trip may see a benefit of gas if you don't mind the extra cost to save 10 minutes a stop, but I save more time by not having to stop somewhere to fuel with it 99% of the time.

Really though, both have their tradeoffs and arguing with a bunch of people on the EV side of the forum about how you don't like EVs is a pretty stupid waste of time.

EV charging is responsible for obesity in America! Got it...

EV charging is responsible for obesity in America! Got it...
I'm sure they exist, but I've yet to see Donny Doublewide get out of an EV. It's almost like these might be people more self aware and might make healthier and smarter choices. Or it's because they're expensive millionaire toys and we can all afford the best trainers and healthcare and get lipo'ed every 3rd Tuesday.

As long as there is a decent public charging infrastructure there is not zero reason to own an EV. I'm on 3.75 years with EV's and can't charge at home (live in a condo). Places that have poor public charging infrastructure (rural areas) most likely have a much lower overall % of multi-family dwellings vs single family homes than urban areas. Despite having to have a slightly different plan in place for not having the ability to charge at home it becomes second nature just like going to get gas, without even looking on plugshare I can tell you where all the fast chargers and the charging rates available at probably all the DC fast chargers within a 3-4 mile radius of my home and hell I can one up that and even rattle off the amenities available within ¼-½ mile walk of each of them.

I have been able to charge at work easily (either free or heavily subsidized by office building owners/management) and outside of that I have about a dozen fast chargers within 3-4 miles of me that are located next to restaurants, grocery stores, malls, shopping centers, etc. If I am running low on charge but won't be back at work in next few days I can go to Publix or Kroger, plug in and spend maybe 30-40 minutes grocery shopping and come out with plenty of charge to get me through another week.

Back on topic my main time filler when I am charging is sitting comfortably at my desk working my 9-5, by the time I'm at 80% its a good time to take a 10-15 minute break to go unplug and move my car and get some steps in away from my desk.
This is something that we may need to agree to disagree on....

Obviously social habits tend to vary by income and social demographic, but you can blame WFH, Peloton and Grocery Delivery for greatly reducing many peoples' need to leave their homes. For most folks who can financially support EV ownership, their time is extremely valuable and being inconvenienced with a 60 min trip to a fast charger is not a reasonable proposition; gas fill-ups are generally a 5-10 min affair on their way to work or to a restaurant. If one's home does not support cost-effective installation of L2 charging infrastructure, I simply don't see EV's being a viable option for someone with a busy lifestyle.

This is something that we may need to agree to disagree on....

Obviously social habits tend to vary by income and social demographic, but you can blame WFH, Peloton and Grocery Delivery for greatly reducing many peoples' need to leave their homes. For most folks who can financially support EV ownership, their time is extremely valuable and being inconvenienced with a 60 min trip to a fast charger is not a reasonable proposition; gas fill-ups are generally a 5-10 min affair on their way to work or to a restaurant. If one's home does not support cost-effective installation of L2 charging infrastructure, I simply don't see EV's being a viable option for someone with a busy lifestyle.
This comes down to personal preference. You really have to decide to deal with the quirks of an electric car. The quirks of an ICE car are far dumber, but they've been set in stone for 100 years so we accept them. Yes you can argue they're far easier for your lifestyle, but of course we've already made these concessions in life and the daily operations support them better than, electric unless you don't have to charge anywhere but home and then it's exponentially easier to deal with.

Back