Effect of leaded fuel on UOA?

I did some searching but only found a couple older threads on classic cars and a mention or two of a raced Miata that talked about the effect of leaded fuel on UOA.

Does anyone have experience with how much of an impact running leaded fuel has? If universal average is 5 (random number) and you run 5 or 10 gallons of leaded race fuel in a car, how would that effect lead in the UOA report? 100? 50? No telling?

Based on the UOA's from my lead fuel burning airplane, you will have drastically increased lead levels as compared to an unleaded fuel burning vehicle. How much will vary by the individual vehicle, engine condition (blow by), operation (cold/rich running), tuning, etc.

If you are looking for lead indicating wear, it will be tough. I guess you could establish a baseline over time, using constant quantities of leaded fuel under similar conditions.

Tell the lab you use leaded fuel. They may have experience and have some ways to "adjust" for it or at least have some "typical" values that show up and can tell you the amount of iron wear metals is estimated to be "x" after adjusting for the leaded fuel.

Back