Educate me on USB drives, devices

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by rubberchicken
Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite

Stupid name "Cloud" is just likely a barracuda HDD stack somewhere inside some closet in some grimy building .

No Clouds or Creator involved.

ARCO, I wish it was that easy. It is far more complicated and larger in scale. Figure the average datacenter is at least 50k square feet, and you have to constantly provide cooling. The racks are stuffed with equipment- a rack could hold 200+ high capacity hard drives, and there could be hundreds of racks. You also need to aggregate these drives with special hardware and software, and further connect these into whatever style of storage management you are using. And that is just for basic cloud storage: high performance storage for special computing loads is a bit more complex, and costly. One of the larger data centers in my company used about $15,000 a month in electricity, and we have about 50 of them scattered around the world. One would think Canada would be great for hosting data centers, due to the lower average temps and reduced cooling load, but it turns out the higher cost of electricity negates that advantage.

Never knew they would be that large.

But to my point no "cloud" involved.

Fanciful language for gullible dolts.

Stupid name "Cloud" is just likely a barracuda HDD stack somewhere inside some closet in some grimy building .

ARCO, I wish it was that easy. It is far more complicated and larger in scale. Figure the average datacenter is at least 50k square feet, and you have to constantly provide cooling. The racks are stuffed with equipment- a rack could hold 200+ high capacity hard drives, and there could be hundreds of racks. You also need to aggregate these drives with special hardware and software, and further connect these into whatever style of storage management you are using. And that is just for basic cloud storage: high performance storage for special computing loads is a bit more complex, and costly. One of the larger data centers in my company used about $15,000 a month in electricity, and we have about 50 of them scattered around the world. One would think Canada would be great for hosting data centers, due to the lower average temps and reduced cooling load, but it turns out the higher cost of electricity negates that advantage.

I've been in several data centers about the size of a football field.

Why is the language fanciful or for dolts? Most people know cloud means an anonymous data center that you access via the internet.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Leo99

I've been in several data centers about the size of a football field.

Why is the language fanciful or for dolts? Most people know cloud means an anonymous data center that you access via the internet.

Wow that scale doesn't even seem manageable.

I'm sure if you went to an airport and asked 30 people you would be surprised by what they don't know.
I work in telephony for a couple decades at Bell Labs. Most people were unaware of the existence of the central office.
I did production engineering of Optical amplifiers and switches that helped make the web a reality.

Just a job.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back