Educate me about RVs

is there any brand that is not junk? Lance 2445 looks nice but a lot of $$$
My experience is with Airstreams. They are not junk, but built very well and have high quality interiors. See my post above about our likes and dislikes.

We owned a 30' Airstream for three years, pulled it 30,000 miles, and stayed in it 101 nights.

I did a write-up on what we liked and didn't like here:

I think the way to go would have been to tear out that sofa thing and put 2 nice recliners in, with swivel frames bolted down.

I think the way to go would have been to tear out that sofa thing and put 2 nice recliners in, with swivel frames bolted down.
You could and others have, but then you have a custom modified trailer that may be more difficult to sell down the road. There is also much work to be done, because the inverter and a large wiring harness/DC distribution panel behind the bench would have to be relocated or somehow hidden. I wasn't willing to attempt either or pay someone to do the work.

My experience is with Airstreams. They are not junk, but built very well and have high quality interiors. See my post above about our likes and dislikes.
I read the article, i like it. I don't think Airstream has anything with slides or bunkhouse type setup. I will have to bring one wife and 3 kids along. That, and airstreams cost a whole lotta money!

The movie "The Long Long Trailer" is the best movie ever to talk yourself out of camping on the road!

They are pulling that huge trailer with a Mercury, looks like the flathead v8 model, the 54 with ohv had bigger tail lights. Those years weren’t that large probably like Camry today. Maybe it’s a Lincoln, that had the ohv earlier.

Last edited:
I read the article, i like it. I don't think Airstream has anything with slides or bunkhouse type setup. I will have to bring one wife and 3 kids along. That, and airstreams cost a whole lotta money!
Airstream made about 200 trailers with slides more than a decade ago. We just happened to have one on either side of us while at a campground, so I had 100th of the Airstream slides ever made parked next to me...

Airstream does make a bunkhouse model:

Pretty good info so far. I went the Super C route. Definitely will need a tow car IMHO. I have re-engineered many things that have broke. On a trip now and my door strut decided to not keep the door open anymore.

View attachment 54669
Might want to invest in some leveling jack pads...not all places are level and might need some extra help.

View attachment 54670

RVing isn't cheap...but worth it IMHO.
My folks have an older 38ft class A that I borrowed and I had 12in 2x8's under the rear levelers on a freshly graveled spot. Had to lift the rear end way up to level it out ( always preferable to keep some weight on the duals, but really couldn't with this spot) in the morning I'd sank my 2x8's 6in down into the soft gravel and the RV had a noticable lean.. I like your size pads better.

To the OP like others have said RV is a full time maintenance job. My folks have always had a class A and they are a pain to do anything to mechanically. If I was to have a gas RV I'd probably have a class C. Whenever I get one I'm going to get a bumper pull camper and pull it with my Ram.

Airstream made about 200 trailers with slides more than a decade ago. We just happened to have one on either side of us while at a campground, so I had 100th of the Airstream slides ever made parked next to me...

Airstream does make a bunkhouse model:

Let see....I bought an Eclipse Milan 26BHSG Bunkhouse and had it for twelve years. I paid $12,000.00 for that one. Last June I bought a Forest River Grey Wolf 26DJSE and paid $19,000.00 for that-less $3,000.00 trade in (bad roof) for the Milan. So-if the DJSE lasts 10 years-we are probably going to age out of pulling a trailer. So adding those two together (minus trade) it comes to 28 grand. I'm well ahead of the price of an Airstream. Granted the Grey Wolf doesn't have the perceived Bling that the Airsteam has-but I'm not out to impress anybody in the RV campground.

It should be noted we "full timed" in the Milan for 7 months and pulled it over 25 thousand miles in that time-along with numerous other 1 to 3 week trips after that-all over the Rocky Mountain West.

We are pulling out of Utah in a few weeks heading to Idaho, Montana, Washington and Oregon.

So yea-I tow a little.

Last edited:
Let see....I bought an Eclipse Milan 26BHSG Bunkhouse and had it for twelve years. I paid $12,000.00 for that one. Last June I bought a Forest River Grey Wolf 26DJSE and paid $19,000.00 for that-less $3,000.00 trade in (bad roof) for the Milan. So-if the DJSE lasts 10 years-we are probably going to age out of pulling a trailer. So adding those two together (minus trade) it comes to 28 grand. I'm well ahead of the price of an Airstream. Granted the Grey Wolf doesn't have the perceived Bling that the Airsteam has-but I'm not out to impress anybody in the RV campground.

It should be noted we "full timed" in the Milan for 7 months and pulled it over 25 thousand miles in that time-along with numerous other 1 to 3 week trips after that-all over the Rocky Mountain West.

We are pulling out of Utah in a few weeks heading to Idaho, Montana, Washington and Oregon.

So yea-I tow a little.
The 26DJSE is on our current short list. We decided against a shorter-slide model for longevity. I felt that no slide was going to be easier to maintain over the long haul. We'll probably give a go to renting it out through one of the online sites for at least a little bit and see how that goes.

The 26DJSE is on our current short list. We decided against a shorter-slide model for longevity. I felt that no slide was going to be easier to maintain over the long haul. We'll probably give a go to renting it out through one of the online sites for at least a little bit and see how that goes.

I make it a point NOT TO BUY A TRAILER WITH SLIDES. Yea-most of the time they work fine and don't leak. But usually when trouble roars it ugly head it's on a Sunday afternoon when you are heading back home and then the slide doesn't close properly or at all. I have seen it happen. I like the theory of "the single box" without a big hole in it's side.

I make it a point NOT TO BUY A TRAILER WITH SLIDES. Yea-most of the time they work fine and don't leak. But usually when trouble roars it ugly head it's on a Sunday afternoon when you are heading back home and then the slide doesn't close properly or at all. I have seen it happen. I like the theory of "the single box" without a big hole in it's side.
Yea, if we do the rental thing, the last thing I want to get is a phone call that the slide won't pull back in or something while I'm at work, or the thing is 500 miles away.

Reactions: CKN
Just one Wife? You really from UT??..... JK :D

CKN what sort of MPG do you get towing that rig? We have similar trucks and that is about the size i would want for bumper pull.

CKN what sort of MPG do you get towing that rig? We have similar trucks and that is about the size i would want for bumper pull.
Pull it with a 2018 SIlverado 5.3-4WD Crew Cab. Flat Interstate no headwinds 10 to 12-I keep it in the right lane at 60mph. The tires (on the trailer) are rated at 65mph. Obviously-the faster you go the mileage can get in to the single digits.

There is-exactly-one company that actually builds RV trailer properly: Airstream.
I agree :) went through three rv's before I broke down and purchased an Airstream. Best decision I ever made wrt camping. Very expensive but they hold value fairly well. Mine is a limited edition of 100 and I occasionally get calls from the dealer with people offering close to or more than I payed.

MVIMG_20180622_202914.jpg

Reactions: GON
I agree :) went through three rv's before I broke down and purchased an Airstream. Best decision I ever made wrt camping. Very expensive but they hold value fairly well. Mine is a limited edition of 100 and I occasionally get calls from the dealer with people offering close to or more than I payed.

View attachment 56586
1/5 the the price.....

Attachments

• IMG_20200701_201810.jpg
    IMG_20200701_201810.jpg
    250 KB · Views: 13
  • PXL_20200928_194112971.jpg
    PXL_20200928_194112971.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 12
I can strongly relate with CKN’s value proposition and the Airstream pay up for quality strategy.

There are numerous post production issues with Airstreams when owners take possession, that shouldn't be at their price point. That's the POINT. (pun intended).

Well, we'll see how this turns out. I just put a refundable deposit down on a Shasta 26BH. Certainly not a top-of-the-line unit, but it ticks all the boxes for the wife and family without breaking the bank. I figure short of any equipment failures I'll handle anything else that pops up.

Back