Educate me about RVs

congrats on the choice for the 26BH. What do you expect loaded weight to come in at? Very interested to see how the truck performs.

Well, we'll see how this turns out. I just put a refundable deposit down on a Shasta 26BH. Certainly not a top-of-the-line unit, but it ticks all the boxes for the wife and family without breaking the bank. I figure short of any equipment failures I'll handle anything else that pops up.
You should only have the following in your RV fridge: https://www.shastapop.com/flavors/

congrats on the choice for the 26BH. What do you expect loaded weight to come in at? Very interested to see how the truck performs.
My 26DJSE comes in just shy of 4,500 pounds dry. I suspect I am south of 5,000 pounds ready to camp. Only run with a few gallons of water to flush the toilet. And I live at 5,000 feet and pull 8,000 foot passes my 2018 Silverado 5.3 will rev all day long.

Well, we'll see how this turns out. I just put a refundable deposit down on a Shasta 26BH. Certainly not a top-of-the-line unit, but it ticks all the boxes for the wife and family without breaking the bank. I figure short of any equipment failures I'll handle anything else that pops up.
Congrats.

I'm expecting around 1000-1200 pounds of additional 'stuff' to be put in it, so it should still be under 6000#. We won't be traveling with any or very minimal water on-board, and there's only 3 of us max that would be going without another vehicle. No boondocking for us.

Pushing the edges for sure, but still well within the ratings.

My 26DJSE comes in just shy of 4,500 pounds dry. I suspect I am south of 5,000 pounds ready to camp. Only run with a few gallons of water to flush the toilet. And I live at 5,000 feet and pull 8,000 foot passes my 2018 Silverado 5.3 will rev all day long.
I wanted the DJSE over the Shasta, the wife didn't. The reason? She didn't like to have to step up into the little mini tub.

You'd think we were 80 years old rolling around in wheelchairs, but the wife got what she wants. I think the DJSE is better looking by far though.

Reactions: CKN
You should see what some of the folks over at ranger5g.com are pulling. They're taking things to the extreme, I don't condone that, but the trucks are surviving the events.

This dude in particular. Pulled a 34 footer from Miami to Orlando. Yikes
C74D75BB-C507-4D75-97B6-AA733CCEA6B9.jpeg

That's too much trailer for that truck...period.

Without a doubt.

I think he was just moving it for someone, don't think he actually owns it, but still, pretty dumb. That's a lot of area to catch wind on the highway.

It will be a nice trailer for you. I have had a just above entry level Keystone Passport since 2012. I have towed it about 40,000 miles.
Minor issues. I needed a toilet, from time to time you have to tighten some screws and I have resealed it once. I recently did have to mess with the slide but was able to fix it pretty cheaply for 9 seasons and lot of use I am not going to complain.
You will enjoy it!
116745718_10220541465039936_379805243135381150_o.jpg

Last edited:
The vehicle I'm not familiar with.

However I do know if you sell your home because you want to save money, then if inflation catches up and you want to quit the RV life, you may get a sticker shock trying to buy it back, and that is a big concern to me.

If anything I'd keep the home and rent it out while doing van life for a while.

The vehicle I'm not familiar with.

However I do know if you sell your home because you want to save money, then if inflation catches up and you want to quit the RV life, you may get a sticker shock trying to buy it back, and that is a big concern to me.

If anything I'd keep the home and rent it out while doing van life for a while.
Selling a home in today's market and hoping to buy a replacement down the road is fool hardy in many parts of the country. This is especially true West of the Mississippi. There was a post on our community Facebook page the other day that essentially said "my parents have between $800,000 and $1.2 million to spend on a home-they have been outbid on multiple properties-is anybody considering selling their house so you can talk to them before it's listed on the Multiple List Service?

And this is Utah.

Selling a home in today's market and hoping to buy a replacement down the road is fool hardy in many parts of the country. This is especially true West of the Mississippi. There was a post on our community Facebook page the other day that essentially said "my parents have between $800,000 and $1.2 million to spend on a home-they have been outbid on multiple properties-is anybody considering selling their house so you can talk to them before it's listed on the Multiple List Service?

And this is Utah.
This level of crazy is often an indicator of being near the top of the market.

This level of crazy is often an indicator of being near the top of the market.

Well....I was starting to think it wasn't sustainable-then the local news did a story about in the #2 and #3 potential buyers positions were Californians and then East Coasters. As someone who retired from So Cal-I have some insight. Most who live in real decent areas of Southern California are now millionaires-as far as their home equity, assuming they haven't refinanced and spent the equity, Utah real estate IS STILL A BARGAIN.

Well....I was starting to think it wasn't sustainable-then the local news did a story about in the #2 and #3 potential buyers positions were Californians and then East Coasters. As someone who retired from So Cal-I have some insight. Most who live in real decent areas of Southern California are now millionaires-as far as their home equity, assuming they haven't refinanced and spent the equity, Utah real estate IS STILL A BARGAIN.
Maybe. Or perhaps Utah will just California another cheap state like Oklahoma. Think about it, make a ton of equity in CA, then Utah, then own 5 properties in a low cost state. Many can take their work from home job wherever they like.

Back