Edit function

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please use the test forum to see if the edit function is working now. Admins get the edit option regardless of board settings, so I need regular members to check.

Thanks.

Quote:

No edit button for me.

Well, I'm stumped. I reset the edit function and it is on for a 2-hour window.
confused.gif

nope, no edit button for me either. Oh well, I just have to be perfect from now on...
grin.gif

YESS!!!! I got the edit to work!

(I think)

Last edited:
Continued. I sucked my test page into an html editor and removed the offending style statement. When the style="display: none;" is removed from the html, then an edit button shows up to the immediate left of the "reply" button.

That shouldn't be too hard to fix.

I suspect the software is trying to only have the edit icon show up on the post authors display and is getting abit overzealous.

heh, my URL worked in the preview - something is FUBAR.

Rule #371 of System Administration (BOFH style), when in doubt - cycle power and hope...

Right there with you, I tried one step ahead of you and I couldn't get it to work (see above post).

Ahh, I had the syntax wrong - I got to edit this post.

Last edited:
All that needs to be done is get that graphic (and the href associated with the editpost.php object) and you are good to go like XS650 pointed out.

Good catch XS650.
bowdown2.gif

Quote:

heh, my URL worked in the preview - something is FUBAR.

Rule #371 of System Administration (BOFH style), when in doubt - cycle power and hope...

It sounds like you are way ahead of me in web-page macinations.

Fixing web page problems in someone else's creation is like peeling an onion. You remove one layer of trouble, cry a little, see the next layer of trouble, cry some more....etc.

This is like Pablo's rock problem, except for one thing. I found the rock but someone else gets to dig it out.

Edit: Thanks for the clue Laminar, your address line mod works for me too.

Until it get's fixed... To use Laminar's edit method, click on reply, then go to your addressbar and change "newreply.php" to "editpost.php".

Edit 2: I see Laminar Lou beat me to the instructions on how to do it.

Last edited:
Quote:

It sounds like you are way ahead of me in web-page macinations.

Fixing web page problems in someone else's creation is like peeling an onion. You remove one layer of trouble, cry a little, see the next layer of trouble, cry some more....etc.

This is like Pablo's rock problem, except for one thing. I found the rock but someone else gets to dig it out.

Here is the poor man's way to edit (until they figure it out):

1) Hit the reply button on the post you want to edit
2) Go to the link at the top of the page and change "newreply.php" to "editpost.php"

Thankfully, the UBB server won't allow you to edit other people's posts this way - or else I could have a lot of fun with Pablo
98124487-L.gif

Quote:

2) Go to the link at the top of the page and change "newreply.php" to "editpost.php"

I've tried this 5 times ..doing exactly that and get a new post every time.

Here's my "reply" URL

http://theoildrop.server101.com/forums/newreply.php?Cat=0&Board=UBB48&Number=727014&page=0&what=showflat&fpart=1&vc=1

Here's what I changed it to:

http://theoildrop.server101.com/forums/editpost.php?Cat=0&Board=UBB48&Number=727014&page=0&what=showflat&fpart=1&vc=1

and each time a new post appears.

You had to leave out some detail.

Quote:

Quote:

I've tried this 5 times ..doing exactly that and get a new post every time.

Here's my "reply" URL

http://theoildrop.server101.com/forums/newreply.php?Cat=0&Board=UBB48&Number=727014&page=0&what=showflat&fpart=1&vc=1

Here's what I changed it to:

http://theoildrop.server101.com/forums/editpost.php?Cat=0&Board=UBB48&Number=727014&page=0&what=showflat&fpart=1&vc=1

and each time a new post appears.

You had to leave out some detail.

Gary, that looks right to me.

And, I just edited this one following the directions.

Are you hitting "enter" after typing "editpost"

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back