Edge 0w40 to Motomaster Euro 0w40

I have had success running edge 0w40 in my ford trucks (5.4l 3v and 3.5l ecoboost) year round in Calgary. Availability has been getting more difficult and I am looking for a replacement. Would this motomaster euro 0w40 work in it's place? Does it seem like a reasonable replacement? I try to keep my oil changes to 5k miles or below based on valvetrain and soot with my TGDI truck engine. The 0w40 has a shell logo on the back and shows SN+ symbol. The wording of the PP Euro data sheet seems to match the back of the bottle word for word:

This oil:

Capture.JPG

Last edited:
An approval that apparently the oil does not have per the Bevo list. This oil has been discussed several times here and I don't think it has any approvals at all.
Is it repackaged Shell Helix/Pennzoil Platinum? If it is, it needs its own approval, but maybe they just do not bother with it.
I really did not pay attention to this oil and discussion.

Is it repackaged Shell Helix/Pennzoil Platinum? If it is, it needs its own approval, but maybe they just do not bother with it.
I really did not pay attention to this oil and discussion.

Nobody knows for sure, but it seems bizarre they would make a new formula. It does have the approvals listed on the back but in typical SOPUS fashion it combines recommended and approved.

If OP is worried about that (it's a Ford truck so not sure why he would be) there is also the actual Pennzoil and QS versions available for $2-3 more per jug. Also 0w40 Mobil 1 FS is also available there.

I'm debating on making this switch as well since Castrol 0w40 is getting hard to find in the big jugs. Can anyone actually confirm if this oil is the same as PP/Shell 0w40? Other post said it may be slightly different, but the PP 0w40 is also hard to find in Canada it seems.

I also noticed that the cheaper black bottle Motomaster 5W40 has more approvals like LL-01, not sure which one is better to go for.

It says 'meets or exceeds MB229.5' on the back label, not having approvals doesn't necessarily mean much. This could be the reason they can sell it at lower regular price.

It says 'meets or exceeds MB229.5' on the back label, not having approvals doesn't necessarily mean much. This could be the reason they can sell it at lower regular price.
im wondering whats the difference between the 2 Motomasters, the 5W40 black bottle is cheaper and has LL-01 compared to the more expensive gold bottle 0w40

An approval that apparently the oil does not have per the Bevo list. This oil has been discussed several times here and I don't think it has any approvals at all.

Curious - if this oil was added to the Bevo list, would you be more inclined to purchase/try it? Even though you know it's the same formula as the Pennzoil/QS/Shell formula?

Are you asking what's the difference between a 5W40 vs 0W40 oil?
Other than the weight, I'm wondering why the 5W40 is the cheaper one when it has more approvals than the 0w40. Anyways I've bought 2 bottles of the 0W40 to try in my E36 and it seems happy so far.

Back