Eddie Van Halen RIP. Dead at age 65

I'm a rock guitarist (and sell and repair guitars at a shop as a job) and Eddie is my biggest influence. He is the reason i play music and i ripped off 80% of his playing and tone. I couldn't sleep when i first heard the main riff from Unchained at age 16 (10 years ago). Same thing with Mean Street, Runnin' With the Devil and many others. Van Halen was one of the things that had the biggest impact on my life. This is a total shocker.

I do not think people realize just how good the song from Van Halen were, particularly in the 90s.

Let's take a listen to the Sammy Hagar Van Halen remember just how awesome and how good his songs were, Eddie Van Halen.

*songs.

Cue the Navy Blue Angels music....

Last edited:
I'm about to be 48....grew up with VH. I appreciated Dave as well as Sammy but Eddie was the MAN!! I was heavy into sports; if not I probably would have smoked too. Sixty Five is young.

I'm driving in my car right now and all I can think about is just how amazing these songs he gave us were.

Let's hit it.

Thank you so much, Mr. Eddie Van Halen. We know you're playing guitar with the most wonderful musicians there are now. We miss you.

So sorry he is gone. Edward was a true genius, a true legend and absolutely the best guitarist in modern rock history. I had a bad feeling when I saw a few months ago some of his cars were up for sale/auction. There will never be another Edward Van Halen. RIP Eddie, we will miss you and remember your music and talents every day.

Last edited:
This is where he is now. In the sky...

I decided to include both videos for the song but whichever one has the better audio. The songs he gave us were legendary.

I'm a rock guitarist (and sell and repair guitars at a shop as a job) and Eddie is my biggest influence. He is the reason i play music and i ripped off 80% of his playing and tone. I couldn't sleep when i first heard the main riff from Unchained at age 16 (10 years ago). Same thing with Mean Street, Runnin' With the Devil and many others. Van Halen was one of the things that had the biggest impact on my life. This is a total shocker.

I do not know if this counts, but I even just recently heard song "Hit the ground running" a few days ago. That's Van Halen too!

I agree.. this is music that was out when I was in school. I am stunned.

Not overdramatically stunned, no, people die.. but this is saddening news.

Eddie was a smoker.
not trying to crap on a dead guy but why would you think throat cancer came from a metal guitar pick over drugs/smoke/ etc

What am I missing?
Certain metal do contain carcinogens that can leach out in certain situations. Usually the concern is hexavalent chromium and welding metals that contain it so not sure if it applies here or not. Lots of thing that people thought were harmless turned out to be bad so who know what caused it. Defiantly lots of possibilities.

An amazing guitarist, possibly the most influential rock guitarist ever - without him, heavy metal ‘shredding’ would not be a thing. I’m convinced of that.

Never get tired of listening to VH music, any of it, but DLR years were the best by far.

Sad day for music, RIP Eddie, and enjoy your ‘eternal jam’!

I remember when the first Van Halen album came out. It was a whole new world. Saw them in concert many times...

RIP, Eddie

I was 10 in 1978 when Van Halen put out their first. Lived in rural NM and didn't get much radio where we were. My neighbor, who was 15, I think had a learners permit, somehow bought a car. A late 60s Plymouth Satellite. He asked me to go fishing with him and his cousin and I knew I had to sneak off to do this as Mom would have said NO to me getting the car with him. On the way, he puts in an 8-track. I'm sitting in the back seat by myself and "Running With The Devil" starts playing. It was almost an out of body experience to me hearing that guitar and the harmonies. Chills! Wango Tango played next and I begged my friend to replay the previous one. When I finally had enough money in my late teens to buy a boombox, that was the first cassette tape I bought.
Weird side note: earlier this morning, I actually wondered about his condition and him dying...and I can't remember why I thought that...what triggered it.

Back