Economy Game Plan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Due to tight finances and a bunch of Weddings I have to get tux's for I will not be able to use synthetic oil year round.(Sorry for run on) So I am going to try to run conventional oil most of the year and run synthetic dureing the long winter. I am going to try Chevron Supreme as it has been highly recomended. I intend on haveing terry read a sample after the "Toyota Recomended Service Interval". I am going to try the 4 month or 5000 miles recomended by the sever service schedule. If this new Toyota chews it up we will know that it is a sludge monster as well! This plan could change though as weddings and bachlor party exspenditures are hard to anticapate. If I have some extra money I will of course get back on the synthetic bandwagon! I am going to predict that this engine is going to tear dino API rated oil's to shreads!! I will not be useing any oil additives like LC,131,132, or oil extreme this time around. I want to see how the oil is going to hold up in this application.

quote:
Originally posted by williar: I'd suggest paying the extra $20 for Mobil1 and burning one less tank of gasoline, unless you have other motives.
Haha, Just think if you stayed home for 1 week without driving your car you would save $20. That is amazing. I wonder why I only have 50,000 on my 1997 F150 That is alot of tanks of Gas I have saved. As I put about 30,000 on my BMW which averaged about 40 mpg. Now my Triumph get up around 50 mpg(that is even travelling around 75-80 on the highway.) Anyhow, If I rode my bicycle I would save even more. Good Idea.

Al

quote:
Originally posted by williar: I'd suggest paying the extra $20 for Mobil1 and burning one less tank of gasoline, unless you have other motives.
I have to agree here. But I think the Chevron will work just fine. [Off Topic!] As I get older-I find that the less I drive the better. I'm tired of traffic. My wife and I do a combined 12K miles per year and if my Daughter/grandchildren didn't live 350 miles away out milage would be about 10K .

JohnBrowning--You can buy a Tux at Syms's or similary place for the cost of a couple of rentals. But I wouldn't waste the savings on syn, dino works just fine!

Here's my Economy Plan to enjoy the best of both worlds. I call it the Slick 50 plan. Yes, I know Slick 50 is bad and has been sued. Stay with me here. My car takes 5 qts of oil. Add 4 qts of your favorite dino oil. Then add one quart of Mobil 1 syn in the same or different weight. OR go 3 petro and 2 syn. So no additives, but I feel you get the advantages of the Synthetic and get the lower cost. You are- in effect- making your own syn blend. 94 Impala SS with only 189K miles.

Then there are people like myself who drive 12 miles in the F-150 with the bikes on the back so my wife an I can hop on the bikes for on a 12 mile bike ride. I think I would go with a 60/40 mix and drive 10 miles less.

JohnBrowning

The other is that the car is brand new and still under warranty so I intend to follow the service interval. I hate like heck to drain $20.00 worth of oil out in 4 months or 5000 miles. If I dont drive it then the wife will be lucky to put 800 miles a year on it. If I drive two times a week it will get exactly 2400 miles in 4 months. Yes I guess I should not have used the wording can not afford it but should have said do not want to afford it. I was just looking at marginal return and opertunity cost. I have used sytheitc in every vechile I have owned since 1988 but I also drove alot of hard miles and ran the cars and trucks hard. This is the family sedan. I am planning on driveing twice a week to work just to keep the parts from rusting up. I guess I am really trying to decide if I really need an expensive oil in car.

Status
Not open for further replies.