Ecoguard XC ($7)---you get what you pay for...

Replaced a TYC 800003p cabin air filter (
The old TYC was superior in every way (thickness of material, density of material) and worth the extra money.

I'm going to replace the filter at 3-5,000 miles and never buy any Ecoguard product as it felt spec-ed to the absolute minimum tolerable level.

unless you want a basic filter (think the lowest MERV value) , avoid the Ecoguard.

of course this is all based on weight and feel, I don't have any instruments to measure microns unlike the folks at Project Farm on youtube.

Like I said, 100% subjective based on feel/weight. If you live in a rural area, no traffic, no diesel buses, no freight traffic, no diesel locomotives, no stop-go traffic, Ecoguard will work just fine.

If you want something heavy duty, look somewhere else. I installed a Bosch HEPA cabin filter when I changed my parents' car, haven't looked at it since. maybe i'll post a pic of that too.

Left: new Ecoguard, Right: TYC with 12,000 miles and about 16 months of use.

Attachments

• 20211121_124805 ecogard.jpg
    20211121_124805 ecogard.jpg
    309.3 KB · Views: 145
Recently purchased and installed on a neighbor's 7th gen Civic the least expensive CAFs, (pack of two) I could find on Amazon, a Potauto Brand CAF. Funny name, decent quality and fit. No complaints.

I purchased an Ecogard for my Ford Edge during the spring, and also for a neighbor's car around the same time. I think. Me personally I typically purchase, Motorcraft every year around the same time. But this year it was over $20. versus last year around $16. So I decided just to get an Ecogard in a short time later I purchased one for my neighbors car. I have used TYCS before as well. But not on my car. I personally like the Ecogard.

Last edited:
I have used several as well.
Actually on a Mitsubishi Sport it fit tighter than the OEM unit.
I found that also to be true as compared to the Honda OEM. The last seal pleat is more substantial, ie. thicker than the OEM. Imo, makes for a better seal. I was pleasantly surprised with quality, the low price was a bonus.

Last edited:
Like I said, 100% subjective based on feel/weight. If you live in a rural area, no traffic, no diesel buses, no freight traffic, no diesel locomotives, no stop-go traffic, Ecoguard will work just fine.

If you want something heavy duty, look somewhere else. I installed a Bosch HEPA cabin filter when I changed my parents' car, haven't looked at it since. maybe i'll post a pic of that too.

Left: new Ecoguard, Right: TYC with 12,000 miles and about 16 months of use.
Was the TYC a charcoal activated filter?

Charcoal ones have more heft than a regular plain paper one, as I put an EP Auto Charcoal filter into my Toyota, where it had a factory paper filter (which was super light)

I will never install another Bosch HEPA filter again. First it had a chemical smell that need time and air to dissipate and it started out with restricted air flow, and when it became plugged after 10,000 miles, it had no airflow... great to experience in the summer time.

No, TYC was plain, non-charcoal.

Interesting you mentioned Bosch HEPA. Installed one in a CRV......had no problems (yet, not at 10,000 miles).

Buy yourself the biggest high quality furnace filter you can find for the price, and a set of heavy duty snips. Make your own. I made my own filters for my Toyotas for years.

I was really bummed when I found out the filter bay in my Mazda doesn’t have a reusable door. It’s attached to the filter.

Change mine every year after pollen season and have been using Ecogard. Don't see a problem with them and great for the price.

Back