Ecogard X4612 (WIX 51358, NAPA ) vs correct WIX 57002 on 2014 2.0L I4 Mazda 3

So I changed the oil on my friends car this morning. They have a 2014 Mazda 3 2.0L I4 and the last change was at a Jiffy Lube about 5520 miles ago. Jiffy Lube used a Ecogard X4612 and I bought a NAPA 7002 (WIX 57002 - the proper filter). What I noticed when I was recycling the filter was that the cross reference list had NAPA 1365 or WIX 51358 as an equivalent - a filter for a Mazda 2 1.5L I4 around the same time frame. From what I gather, the only difference is that the filter (Ecogard X4612) has an anti drain back valve and the NAPA 7002 does not.

Would a filter with an anti drain back valve be better for engine or cause restriction in the oil system?

As a note, the filter is at the bottom of the engine block, situated like a 'cup' on both vehicles.

Would a filter with an anti drain back valve be better for engine or cause restriction in the oil system?

No ADBV is going to cause flow restiction. Engines use a positive displacement oil pump. Engine oiling systems are not like the water system in your house where "restriction" makes a difference.

Interesting. Good to know.

Looks like the cross reference is all jacked up... and you can use any number of filter.

Even if you us the Mazda oil filter number for the car, you can find WIX 51358 (same size and bypass valve setting as 57002) and Wix 57356, etc.

Supposedly WIX specifically designed the 57002 for the Skyactiv-G engine and the Nominal Micron Rating is 15 micron.

There are no reports about using a filter with a ABDV or higher nominal micron rating causing issues, but it seems like a lot of people run the Toyo-Roki OEM Mazda Filters (PE01-14-302A) to avoid any issues as they are quality filters.

From what I can tell, PE01-14-302A has been discontinued and superseded by PE01-14-302A-MV or 1WPE-14-302 and the former filter is made in Mexico (Possibly by Mann+Hummel/WIX), but under slightly different specifications (?). The latter filter is made in Thailand.

ADBV or not won’t make any difference In regards to restriction.

Regarding the cross reference numbers. The 57002 is supposedly a “custom” made filter that Wix made specifically for the Skyactiv engine. Based on my countless dissections and use of other filters, I can say that I’ve not seen ANY issues with using a filter other than OE or the Wix 57002. I guarantee that there are hundreds of thousands of owners that use whatever filter is cheapest and/or whatever the lube shop installs. Yet we haven’t seen or heard of any widespread engine failures.

If the Mazda is a skyactiv series ADBV does not matter. I used m1 108a which has it. The oem filter in my signature does not. No difference. The wix equivalent for the oem for my 2.0 skyactiv is 57002 or napa gold 7002. Using a part finder use what is specified for your car. For mine it is fram 6607, napa 7002/wix 57002, or mobil 1 108a.

So my question, all things being equal, is it better to match the bypass valve setting?

WIX 57002 – 11 - 14 psi (Made in Mexico, no ADBV)
WIX 51358 – 11 - 14 psi (Made in USA, ADBV)
WIX 51356 – 8 - 11 psi (Made in USA, ADBV)

So my question, all things being equal, is it better to match the bypass valve setting?

Yes, more or less the range. ADBV doesn't matter. I wouldn't use Wix 51356.
Fram 6607: 13 psi
M1 108a: unknown, maybe 15? it worked fine. Used it for almost 2 years.

I have a 2018 Yaris IA and the free oil changes ran out.....I used a Wix 57002 and if I had a Quick Lube shop change oil I would bring my own filter.....I am leary of those built to a price quick lube type filters

Is the WIX 51356 specified by the manufacturer for your engine?

No, but it comes up when you cross reference and multiple people have reported using it on the Skyactiv engine.

I wouldn't use it if it's not specified by the manufacturer. The only time I use a different oil filter from the same filter manufacturer is if the only thing different about it is the size of the can (ie "up-size" the can), but it still has the same bypass valve setting as the filter specified by the filter manufacturer for that vehicle.

Some of us always remove the filter first. That way a
oily slippery filter doesn't fall into a drain pan of hot oil
and spatter oil all over you or things.

My 2¢

We have a 2016 Mazda CX-9 2.5T with around 45,000 miles. The two times we used oil filters with ADBV (Pep Boys and Firestone oil changes), we got one or more messages on dash board regarding either low oil pressure or low oil level (or something along those lines - I can't remember). The dip stick shows oil level low (sometimes 1/2 quart and sometimes a full quart) at around 3,500 miles. This has never happened with the original Mazda filter with oil changes done at the Mazda dealer. See attachment regarding the specific oil filter that should be used in this vehicle. I wonder if other Mazda owners have experienced any similar problems when using other than Mazda OEM oil filters or the Wix/Napa specifically made for Mazda with no ADBV.

Attachments

• Mazda Oil Filters Bulletin.pdf
    276.4 KB · Views: 52
If I had to choose among filters with/without an ADBV, I would always take one with the ADBV.

If this is a 20mm mount, you can use almost whatever quality Asian oil filter that fits. I'd oversize if there is room. XG7317 or equivalent and might even try the XG3593a, and the wixXP/platinum, or Boss, Amsoil, Royalpurple equivalents, or on a budget, the name brand midrange filters.

Bypass valve setting is not as much of an automaker spec, but a spec to protect the media. If the OE filter has a bypass valve, don't worry about the PSI. Just make sure you have it. There are also different methods to bypass PSI measurements.

We have a 2016 Mazda CX-9 2.5T

Which calls for a different filter by Mazda, yet Wix still recommends the 57002 for.

I wonder if other Mazda owners have experienced any similar problems when using other than Mazda OEM oil filters or the Wix/Napa specifically made for Mazda with no ADBV.

No. At least for us NA guys.

P.S. how are you liking the 2.5T?

EDIT: Was clarifying as what I initially wrote was lacking context.

Last edited:
Which calls for a different filter by Mazda, yet Wix still recommends the 57002 for.

No. At least for us NA guys.

P.S. how are you liking the 2.5T?

EDIT: Was clarifying as what I initially wrote was lacking context.
We love the 2016 CX-9 for its quick acceleration, comfort, ride, etc. It's also a three row seat car which gives us plenty of cargo area when the third row seats are folder. We now have also acquired a 2021 Mazda 3 and a 2020 Mazda CX-5 (both non turbo 2.5) and we love both of them. They seem to be well built.

Back