Ecogard S4477 (I'm not sure about this one.)

Hi all. I recently received an Ecogard S4477 filter from Walmart.com and I am not impressed. First, even though the base plate was wrapped in plastic, the threads were full of crud (possibly metal shavings, too) and also burred/irregular. Second the filter makes a clunking/rattling noise when I shake it indicating the internals are somewhat loose. Third, the date code is from over four years ago. What do you think?

From the threads: (toothpick)
1641493588784.jpg

1641493741229.jpg

1641494309856.jpg

Pretty much every oil filter I've ever used (regardless of brand) needs the threads cleaned up.

What's the best way to clean them Zee if you don't mind me asking? Thanks.
I use a dental pick, or a toothpick will also work. Hold the filter with the base down and run the toothpick through the threads. I do it with the filter base down so if anything comes loose it falls out and not into the filter.

Ecogard just sent me another filter (along with engine and cabin air filters) for free!
The new oil filter doesn't rattle like the other one, but it has the exact same date code(?) on top.
100% leak tested
S4477 (model number)
12/01/17 91
I don't know what the 91 is for, but were both of these filters made/leak tested on December 1st 2017? Really seems like it.

Ecogard just sent me another filter (along with engine and cabin air filters) for free!
The new oil filter doesn't rattle like the other one, but it has the exact same date code(?) on top.
100% leak tested
S4477 (model number)
12/01/17 91
I don't know what the 91 is for, but were both of these filters made/leak tested on December 1st 2017? Really seems like it.
That may have been the last time they updated the date stamp!

Back