Ecoboost first gen , a bit confused with oil choice

Some members believe that I will make a good move if i stop using PP 5 w 30 . They suggest a 0w40 and or a 5w40 .

Now, all of these oils seem to be labeled has European oil meeting api SN but not the specific spec m2c 946 from Ford for my first gen 3.5 f150 2014 with 95000 km

This engine is renowned for fuel dilution , and timing chain and phasers problem. Ive read somewhere that the Turbo need the spec or ....

My truck is just starting the dreaded cam phaser noise at start up, no code logged and its not happening very often. I do not think that I will stop the cam phaser problem progression but its never too late to change our habit and improve thing.

Castrol edge 5w40 is easy to find in Canada so , is it a good idea to leave Pennzoil platinum after 8 years, I had so much confidence in that oil ...

How better or what are the obvious advantage to use Castrol Edge 5w40 European oil vs PP 5w30 in my application ?

Rotella T6 5w40 is also readily avail in canada ... this one or Edge ?

thanks

Last edited:
Some members believe that I will make a good move if i stop using PP 5 w 30 . They suggest a 0w40 and or a 5w40 .

Now, all of these oils seem to be labeled has European oil meeting api SN but not the specific spec m2c 946 from Ford for my first gen 3.5 f150 2014 with 95000 km

This engine is renowned for fuel dilution , and timing chain and phasers problem. Ive read somewhere that the Turbo need the spec or ....

My truck is just starting the dreaded cam phaser noise at start up, no code logged and its not happening very often. I do not think that I will stop the cam phaser problem progression but its never too late to change our habit and improve thing.

Castrol edge 5w40 is easy to find in Canada so , is it a good idea to leave Pennzoil platinum after 8 years, I had so much confidence in that oil ...

How better or what are the obvious advantage to use Castrol Edge 5w40 European oil vs PP 5w30 in my application ?

thanks
Any good name brand synthetic oil 5w30 SP rated with 4000 miles oil chances should be ok.

I use Mobil1 0w40 in my 2013 F150 3.5, it seems to work well. PP is a thin oil to start with and that's not going to help with fuel dilution.

I had the timing chain make noise on start up a few years ago and it turned out to be a bad Anti drain back valve on a cheap oil filter. Using a good (Ford FL500 or Fram XG10575) oil filter on these is a must. Your cam chain noise could be from thinned out PP draining back due to a bad ADBV in your current filter. Try changing to the Mobil1 0w40 (goes on sale at Canadian Tire and Walmart) and a FL500 or XG10575 filter.

Edit, I had been using Rotella Gas truck 5w30 with no problems but it's not available anymore.

Be sure to change your oil before 5,000km's due to the fuel dilution on this engine.

Kinda overdramatic for common fuel dilution. IMO pretty simple, quality 5-30 (or low VI 5-40) with quality filter and 5k OCI should work well. I'd give it a few OCI's before I tear into any phaser issue. Agree on ditching Pennz Plat 5-30 as it begins life with a lower VI. I'm using it in a Subaru Outback 3.7 and even with many highway runs 7300k run on an easy engine has signs of shearing out of grade.

Try a 5W- 40. I have done 2 oil changes on my 2015 Ford F150 2.7 using the Quaker State 5W-40 Euro thanks to TiGeo bringing the oil to my attention. Different engine but it the oil works.

Rotella T6 5w40 is also readily avail in canada ... this one or Edge ?

thanks
My favorite choice available on sale at Canadian Tire or Walmart is m1 0w40. The specs it meets are far beyond what your truck requires and you're out of warranty anyway. I run this oil in almost all of my engines.
I don't have an EcoBoost but I do have 381,000kms and 10,400 engine hours on my 05 Silverado that I use for work every day and I'm hoping to keep it many more years. The engine still runs like new with zero oil consumption in 5k miles and a good cylinder leakdown test.

I’ll bet it’s the drain back valve on the oil filter. What OCI? i don’t think your phasers or cam chain are worn yet. Unless you went 16k km per oil change. That’s a big no-no on EB engines.

5W-30 syn is fine for Canada. FL is a different story.

Also how many miles are you putting on in a year? 95,000kms is really low for the year. You may be overthinking it if you're not putting a lot of miles on.
Yesterday for work my truck ran almost all day to warm equipment (and my fingers). It's spent a lot of workdays without shutting off when it's cold or hot out.
Reminds me I have an idler pulley of something getting noisy that I need to check with the stethoscope today. Those are the things that wear out from the constant idling.

I’ll bet it’s the drain back valve on the oil filter. What OCI? i don’t think your phasers or cam chain are worn yet. Unless you went 16k km per oil change. That’s a big no-no on EB engines.

5W-30 syn is fine for Canada. FL is a different story.
Well not 16k km all the time but a few times 14k km or less , here is the first UOA ....at that moments the truck was new ( second oil change and I was trying to validate the OLM and the Pennzoil capacity to support the OLM , since that time I was following the OLM for the most part of the life of the truck . Please note that most of the mileage on that truck was made on the highway mainly between Montreal and Orlando , one third in a mix city driving and highway .

1673706240697.jpeg

Attachments

• 1673705607827.jpeg
    1673705607827.jpeg
    153.9 KB · Views: 13
Also how many miles are you putting on in a year? 95,000kms is really low for the year. You may be overthinking it if you're not putting a lot of miles on.
Yesterday for work my truck ran almost all day to warm equipment (and my fingers). It's spent a lot of workdays without shutting off when it's cold or hot out.
Reminds me I have an idler pulley of something getting noisy that I need to check with the stethoscope today. Those are the things that wear out from the constant idling.
the Truck is used mainly to pull our travel trailer for our trip down south in florida and or Texas ... so about 6 to 10k per year for that only. So I can say the truck spent about 60% of his life on highway pulling the travel trailer . Last year i stayed home due to covid and ive done the last oil change with 2500k km on the oil and the filter since i had reached the 1 years mark. what a waste ,I was following Manufacturer instruction and using good product for my truck today I dont know if that really pay to believe the Ford engineers :) ....

the Truck is used mainly to pull our travel trailer for our trip down south in florida and or Texas ... so about 6 to 10k per year for that only. So I can say the truck spent about 60% of his life on highway pulling the travel trailer . Last year i stayed home due to covid and ive done the last oil change with 2500k km on the oil and the filter since i had reached the 1 years mark. what a waste ,I was following Manufacturer instruction and using good product for my truck today I dont know if that really pay to believe the Ford engineers :) ....
Highway pulling the trailer is still probably much better for it than a bunch of short trips, starting up in -10 all the time. You're probably not going to have any issues in the miles you're going to put on it in the next ten years.

Castrol Edge 0w40 and 5w40 is on sale at Canadian Tire right now for $43.99. Nothing wrong with using Edge in your truck, I just happen to use M1.

I'm going to ask a question because I don't know the answer.
Would it not be wise to run at least an SN+ or SP oil? These engines are very prone to LSPI, are they not?

so many oil so many opinion, as soon as I start to make up my mind another 5w40 pop up Quaker States euro... easy to find in canada Im torn between QS , Mobil, and EDGE, my heart goes to Sopus for now

Castrol Edge 0w40 and 5w40 is on sale at Canadian Tire right now for $43.99. Nothing wrong with using Edge in your truck, I just happen to use M1.
I feel like the edge 0w40 could be the slightly better oil between the 2, but the m1 goes on sale for $31.99 fairly often. Usually they don't stock the 0w40 Castrol edge in the 5L jugs thereby excluding it from the sales. Last time I bought Castrol it was 5w40 only for that reason...no 0w40 on sale. And I don't think their 5w40 is as good as either 0w40 Castrol or Mobil.

Back