Ecoboost 1.6 liter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: JC1
It should be fine. Fuel economy will suffer a bit.
Define a bit? .0005? .02?

Checked the owners manuals for the 2018 Escape with two different Eco-boost engines. The 1.5 liter specs 5-20. The 2.0 liter specs 5-30. I'd feel better seeing a technical service bulletin on your 1.6 . However, your engine won't blow up with 5-30. Run what you like. Just make sure it's synthetic.

Last edited:
There is nothing wrong with using 5w30, but you may want to use a full synthetic in a turbo engine
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: oilchangeguy
They are moving back to 5w30 in some Ecoboost engines is the reason I asked.

Oil Change guy is correct. The 2.0 liter Eco-boost went to 5-30 in the owners manual.

SF

Many bigger V6 2.7L&3.5L Ecobeasts are running 0w40 with great results. Those bigger engines have less stress on internal engine components than a small 1.6L 4 cylinder. Use 0w40 or 5w30.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
There is nothing wrong with using 5w30, but you may want to use a full synthetic in a turbo engine
smile.gif

Ironically the Ford spec for 5W-30 oil, WSS-M2C946-A, used in many EB engines can be met by many 5W-30 conventional oils and run for 10,000 miles if the iOLM allows. Which with my experience no matter the driving conditions the iOLM always drops 10% for every 1,000 miles driven, whether all highway driving in the summer or everyday driving in the worst of winter. For example I changed our Explorer's 2.3 EB's oil on 12/5. Recently checked the miles gone, 1500 miles, and the oil life monitor showed 85% oil life left. That's tracking 10% loss of oil life for every 1,000 miles driven, even in winter with the use of the remote start frequently. My last UOA ran 7,000 miles, all summer highway driving in 2 months, and the oil life monitor showed 30% oil life left. Again 10% reduction for every 1,000 miles driven.

Whimsey

Vlad_the_Russian said:
Many bigger V6 2.7L&3.5L Ecobeasts are running 0w40 with great results.
Hi Vlad. I respect that opinion but how should be quantify "Great Results"? The fact that the engine didn't grenade? To get a true idea we would have to do exhaustive oil analysis looking for wear evidence, or perhaps strip the engines down and present our findings. Or perhaps everyone who gets 100,000 miles on their turbo should chime in. I haven't seen any evidence on these things. Maybe they will come with time.

What I do know is that engines are generally quite forgiving on what type of oil they run, and it takes a long time (over 100,000 miles) to notice anything amiss.

SF

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
Ford hasn't spec'd 5-30 in their cars for years. I guess they don't know any better.

Realy? My 2.0 Ecoboost needs 5W30.

It probably won't make a dime's worth of difference, but especially before 100K I'd just run a quality synthetic 5w20. It doesn't get blazing hot in the carolinas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back