Echo PB-255LN magneto gapped too far from factory

Ended up repairing another trash find blower and this one was odd. The spark would appear just enough for the engine to pop off, but never to start. If you spun it too fast the spark would go away. Too slow and there was just a hint of a spark. After splitting it open, it was evident I was the first to gain entry inside of it, and to my amazement the air gap was literally 1/8" if not more. There was no marks on the screw or the coil to indicate it was ever touched after the factory assembled it.

Here is the kicker..........the blower has moderate wear and run hours enough to indicate it has been used. How would the coil ever fire and enough so the unit would most likely run good, then to get to a point it would never run again? Were the flywheel magnets stronger back in 2017 when it was produced?

Oh, and no the cylinder and block did not loosen up either, if anything when the base gasket ages it will squish down more, making the coil gap closer.

Well........I took the muffler service the ex port and yes indeed moderate useage. The screen was melted and the port was very black.

Ended up repairing another trash find blower and this one was odd. The spark would appear just enough for the engine to pop off, but never to start. If you spun it too fast the spark would go away. Too slow and there was just a hint of a spark. After splitting it open, it was evident I was the first to gain entry inside of it, and to my amazement the air gap was literally 1/8" if not more. There was no marks on the screw or the coil to indicate it was ever touched after the factory assembled it.

Here is the kicker..........the blower has moderate wear and run hours enough to indicate it has been used. How would the coil ever fire and enough so the unit would most likely run good, then to get to a point it would never run again? Were the flywheel magnets stronger back in 2017 when it was produced?

Oh, and no the cylinder and block did not loosen up either, if anything when the base gasket ages it will squish down more, making the coil gap closer.
How is it starting and running now? As it should?

Yep. business card air gap fixed it perfectly. Tank of gas thru it no prob. Two pulls to pop off, one more without choke to get it running.

I don't know how you determined that you were the first one in there, but personally I think that someone was in there before you. With a 1/8" gap it couldn't possibly have run long enough (if ever) to show any wear, let alone moderate wear. This is the kind of thing that you will see when a homeowner has tried to fix it.

I've had a PB-255LN as well for four years now. Did have the flywheel nut come loose a year and a half ago.
Other than that, it starts rite up on the first or second pull. If I remember to use the choke. :rolleyes:

I don't know how you determined that you were the first one in there, but personally I think that someone was in there before you. With a 1/8" gap it couldn't possibly have run long enough (if ever) to show any wear, let alone moderate wear. This is the kind of thing that you will see when a homeowner has tried to fix it.

When I took it apart there was a "snap" sound on all fasteners, and also the dust and grease build up on the magneto and set screws showed it was never loosened and adjusted. The coil screws were tight and the galling and marks left behind in the metal indicated it was only tightned down one time at the factory.

The good news is, with this adjustment, the blower runs and starts perfect. Im gunna throw a new metering diaphram in the carb just to be safe as this one will just sit at camp.

Back