Easy sludge checks...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Besides looking through the oil filler, taking off the valve covers, or advanced chemical testing, is there a poor/lazy man's way of looking for sludge buildup, varnish, or other nasties in your engine? Any little tricks or clues that may point you to a potential problem? Pretty much all I know is looking through the filler. I don't worry about it now, but just thinking ahead...

TIA!

CHeck the top inside of the oil filler cap - also the condition of the dip stick. Black, varnished, gritty, (I've seen all the above). PCV valve is another good indication as to whats going on inside the motor.

Top of the filler cap is a good indication. Mine is sludged up, and you can see junk on the cams too. If only ARX wasn't so expensive to get over here. I guess I will stick with LC.

I'm with GreeCguy except I would put PCV at the top of the list. I don't have any data, but I have the impression from my experience that the PCV is a more sensitive indicator than the "peek inside" method.

If you change your oil yourself, take a sample of it and inspect it. Pour a little onto a clean paper towel and see what doesn't soak through the towel.

My used oil has always been "amber" in color, never black. Then again, i'm a member of the 3/3000 OCI club
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back