Easy Engine Break-In - Who?

Status
Not open for further replies.
buster, You had consuption issues with your Toyota and you are currently haveing consuption issues with your Honda. I think that it might make a difference! Truthfuly my opion is no better then your in this case as I have not tracked consuption to customer break in procedure at all. I do know that I have not had consuption issues with any of my vechiles though. I think that if your current consuption does not level off as normal breakin consuption then you might want to try working a different prespective on the next car! What does it hurt to keep an open mind? The material, methods,surface finish's,oils and design of engines has changed so much in the last 15 years let alone the last 40 that it is very possable that old school break in may not be the best way to break in and engine now.

So to recap I am only sugesting that everyone keep an open mind and actualy read the motuneusa site break in recomendations fully.

Another way to look at it is too look at how poorly most old grandma car run. I am sure some of use have bought cars that were 7-15 years old with 20,000 miles or less on them. They tend to burn oil, have sludge, stuck rings, carbon deposits etc.....Why? Becasue they were not driven hard enough or long enough. Usualy once you soak the pistons, flush and change the fluids and drive the snot out of them they start to recover! What some think of as easy is not always easy on the engine at all.

Their are Yenko's with 15,000 miles on the clock all done 1/4 at a time that start and run like new with great compression!

quote:

buster, You had consuption issues with your Toyota and you are currently haveing consuption issues with your Honda

John, what are you talking about? I'm not having consumption issues with the Honda at all and the Toyota was known to burn oil! I've gone through 1/4qt in 4k miles. Hardly an issue. TSB out on it for the Toyota. You don't have to break in a car hard or easy!!!!!!! Internet Engineers (motortunusa) don't know more then the people building the cars. That is my opinion.

buster, how many engineers do think actualy know anything about an engine from a dynamic or hands on stand point? Very Few!! Nest you have to ask how many studies have been donwe since the 1950's-1970's on this topic? None that I am aware of! It is about like reading medical books from the 1800-1950 and compareing them to days medical books! Their are a lot of things that have changed over the years as un going research ahs been done. How easy would it be to give out the same old information if new research had not been done?

As long as the car or truck makes it out of warranty before it starts to die most manufactures could care less if it burn oil at 100,000 miles of 200,000 miles. Some do not even car while the car or truck is under warranty. THe gentleman at MoTune is an engineer not just an internet engineer. His opion is just as valid as any other engineers until you prove him wrong.

buster, Most engineer at GM are not renasance men and only understand the one area that they design.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back