Earthquake!

Status
Not open for further replies.
5.6 near OKC. We felt it here in KC. My stereo cabinet glass door was open. It was vibrating against the wall.
First time feeling that!
Now when the New Madrid fault lets go in southern Missouri, whooo boy!

We have had a couple of similar earthquakes in Michigan in the past 8 years or so. One started at just the instant that I flushed the toilet, and it sounded like a freight train. I thought my plumbing was backed up or something and ran down to the basement to see if a pipe had burst. I was thinking, wow that extra large bean burrito really had an effect! But it just turned out to be an earthquake.

Being a Florida guy, earthquakes are unknown to me. Then one day in California, I felt a minor 4.3 tremble. It was a very uncomfortable feeling.

I guess if your not used to them they would be scary. We get hundreds of smaller ones every week.and a few larger 4.0 or larger a week here.

We don't worry until they are a 6

Last edited:
felt here in Joplin MO. I not only did the house groan, I actually felt movement as the peak shock wave passed. We are pretty heavily undermined here, hopefully no new sinkholes formed.

Rod

recent

Originally Posted By: Cujet
Being a Florida guy, earthquakes are unknown to me. Then one day in California, I felt a minor 4.3 tremble. It was a very uncomfortable feeling.
4.3 isn't worth even thinking about ! Hurricanes, now they put the fear in me!
grin.gif

I live in KC and i felt it about 7:04 this morning when it woke me up. I felt the bed moving forward and backward and i knew i was the only in in the room. I sat up and could still fell it and saw my clothes in the closet swaying.

Was in the North Ridge quake in bed 3rd floor hotel room - was quite a ride. Went back to sleep instead of out like all others... it was cold outside and I was comfy.

Originally Posted By: Errtt
Was in the North Ridge quake in bed 3rd floor hotel room - was quite a ride. Went back to sleep instead of out like all others... it was cold outside and I was comfy.

Yeah, Northridge earthquake of 6.xxx in 1994 was a little scary for few minutes, it woke me up but went back to sleep within minutes. Too cold to get out of bed.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Does fracking fluids have anything to do with these earthquakes in Oklahoma ?

Are you okay with hurricane ? No severe damage anything ? Stay safe and have a great holiday.

I was actually sitting on the porcelain throne this morning when it hit. It make the house creak and moan and made my little Chihuahua come scampering to me.
However, I happened to be in the Los Angeles area in '92 when the Landers earthquake hit.
There is no comparison between the two.

We had a 7.1 here on friday, apparently it was felt where I live...maybe I woke up at 4.30am, but I didn't feel the earth move.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back