earthlink (feel free to move to off-topic if better suited)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is earthlink currently pitching some specific "upgrade" promo in CA? For about 7 weeks I've been getting phone calls (messages were left almost daily, especially on weekends) from earthlink, who want to "upgrade" me. I've been playing dead because I don't want an upgrade (unless it's free!). Now those pests get annoying. They leave messages up until 9 pm and say they "must talk to me."

Curiosity is finally getting the better of me. I can either hope that one of you knows about the current sales pitch, or I'll have a bit fun with earthlink customer service. I'll waste their time like you wouldn't believe it.
tongue.gif

So you think they got simply a gift for me?
smile.gif
Why am I hesitant to call them? Must be that giant hunch I have.
tongue.gif

Wow they sound desperate, they probably on commission. Is it the same person calling? I never got any calls from Earthlink, most of the telemarketer are refinance home or credit stuff. If you are annoyed just pick up the phone and tell them I'm not interested. Call them to satisfy your curiosity. If you are currently using Earthlink DSL, they probably upgrade to a higher speed for cheaper probably. At least thats what SBC DSL does.

Back then MCI kept calling me almost every weekday, I kept saying no. After about a month or so they stopped, must be a promotion.

It's only two people calling. First it was always the same guy, after about six weeks they let a woman call.

If they don't get the vibe that I'm not interested, I can't help them. EL can, and does, email me promotional offers almost on a daily basis anyway. I seriously doubt I'm missing out on some super offfer. I suspect they're trying to sell me their combined internet/phone service package -- which I don't want and which is exactly what they keep pitching in emails.

I have already a "special" deal, because I recently switched to EL DSL. This "good deal" will end after one year, and after 7 years with EL, I'll very likely switch to another provider anyway. After all, it is a "buyer's market," and only new customers are being cuddled. I really don't care for a company that keeps bombarding me with obviously unwanted solicitations.

Why can't every company be like my car insurance? They send me my bill and some advertising comes along with it, but that's it -- other than that, I don't hear a peep from them all year long. That's how I like it.
wink.gif

quote:

Originally posted by moribundman:

Why can't every company be like my car insurance? They send me my bill and some advertising comes along with it, but that's it -- other than that, I don't hear a peep from them all year long. That's how I like it.
wink.gif

I've had reasonably good results asking companies that I do business with to put me on their do not call list. They don't have to respect that if you are presently doing business with them, but it never hurts to try and has worked for me.

I sweeten the pot by telling them to feel free to contact me by snail mail or email. I get so much junk mail and spam that a little extra doesn't put a noticable extra load on my spam filters or the waste basket I sort my mail over. Sales 'droids phone calls, OTOH, annoy me...a lot.

If I remember correctly, I already bowed out of the option of being contacted by phone by EL, but I let them send me offers via email. I don't have to tell them again. If they don't keep their end of the bargain, I see no reason to yield even one micron, even if curiosity is killing me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back