Early 2000 GM 5.3 owners -- spark plugs

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjk

Hi,

Going to do my plugs in the near future. Any reason not to go with the NGK 1ZTR5B11 plugs?

I am aware that the Iridium plugs are replacing the OEM Platinums from that era, and the gap has changed from .060 to .040. Apparently, NGK actually made those plugs for AC Delco.

Thanks.

Right now I have champion coppers in my s10. It runs just like stock and cost $2 ea. I have oem delcos in my escalade and delcos in my beater. All running like normal. In Ur case I recommend oem or ngk. Can't go wrong with either.

I'm using the AC Delco 41-985 version in my '01 Silverado with no apparent problems. Rock Auto shows them for a few cents cheaper than the NGK.

When I had to replace the spark plugs in my ION, ACDelco decided to supersede the double platinum plug with an iridium one, and the car ran fine, so I would think you would be okay as well.

And yes, for modern engines, ACDelco simply writes their name on an NGK plug.

I did my back 2 plugs w/o any issues. However i did remove all the plugs and coat with anti-seize the next day after i brought it home. The only thing you may want is something to pad you chest while you are laying on the engine/fender to reach the last ones on each side.

The heads are aluminum so take your time while getting them out. It you not hurt to hit theme with pb blaster the day before you try to get them out... could be seized in there.

Last edited:
IIRC, AC Delco iridium plugs are rebadged NGK laser iridium plugs (but AC Delcos are about one half the price).

Save yourself the $$$ and go with the AC Delco iridiums.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mjk
Another question. I know the back 2 plugs are supposedly not easy to do. Any tricks to making the job easier?

I don't remember them being especially difficult, but they aren't as easy to reach as the rest. Getting the boots off and back on securely was probably the most tricky thing. On the right side, be careful not to put leverage on any of the A/C components.

I did two changes in 70,000 miles, so corrosion wasn't an issue. I changed them cold and used a torque wrench, because I don't have much experience with aluminum heads.

Originally Posted By: ironman_gq
I didn't think they went to aluminum heads till 03-04ish, or was that the 6.0 only?

That was the 6.0.

I put in bosch+4.. they've been in for over 100k miles.

Originally Posted By: ironman_gq
I didn't think they went to aluminum heads till 03-04ish, or was that the 6.0 only?

On the LS series of engines the only one to use cast iron heads was the 1999 6.0 used in the trucks. All other heads have been aluminum.

I run NGKs in my LS1 Trans Am and My 6.0 truck.

The Trans Am had Densos stock

I've had great results in my 6.0L truck (06 Sierra Denali 345hp version of 6.0L) using Autolite XP Iridiums. Been in there about 65,000 trouble free miles so far. I tried the new Bosch Fusions but had several misfires that showed up on the Tech 2 but you could not feel it. I was unhappy with any misfires so I yanked them out after about 3000 miles and stuck in the Autolites. The NGK is another good option.

I have the NGKs arriving later this week. Found them on Amazon for 7.00/plug, and free shipping. Auto stores were 9.50 or more per plug.

Got another question. I have an aluminum heat shield around my AC compressor. I absolutely can not get my hands back there, to get at that 1 plug.

Can the shield be eliminated, or temporarily removed? I've tried all angles, and it just isn't going to happen.

Any ideas are certainly appreciated.

I watched a Youtube video by a Joseph Montgomery. Probably the best video I've found on the plug removal. However, his 04 Silverado did not have the shield intact, and he didn't address whether it was removed or wasn't part of that design package.

You're saying that you can't get a socket on it, or your hand- at all?

I don't recall there being a shield on the ones that I've done; would you be willing or able to snap a picture to show us?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back