Earl Scheib

Someone mentioned the car paint place on here, brought back some memories..

Ahh, Earl Scheib.......Early 70's they painted my freinds van and they left it out overnight and it rained. It looked dimpled. My brother had his 65 Mustang painted and they painted over some mud on the trunk lid. Years later as an adult that knew what to expect, I took an 85 Celica to Maico. There was some rust in the hatch I had fixed, removed the glass. Also removed everthing I could like the lights (just left one screw in to drive it there) and some trim. Wet sanded the body. Came out great, Viper Red. They offered me a job lol.

Ill paint any car for 29.95....Had a friend of mine that striped all the chrome off and wet sanded the car then took it to them for a 29.95 paint job and it turned out great...He did all the prep work ahead of time..

Painted over mud lol. I'm guessing they were upset someone thought they were going to do that much work for that little money of a paint job. Still though, funny.

Yes. If the owner did the pre-paint prep and helped with masking off it was a good deal. Otherwise I’ve seen door handles and windshield trim painted…

$39.95 :)

39.95.jpg

Years ago I used to see a Thunderbird driving around with the paint coming off in sheets. The owner got a bunch of those mailbox letters from Home Depot and on the truck lid it said "Earl Scheib painted this car".

I think you are better off getting a paint job at your vocational technical school by junior or senior year students with all of the stories I've heard from Maaco / Flake-o or Earl Scheib.
I’d love to do that on one of my cars, issue is, how do I find a school willing to take the car?

I think you are better off getting a paint job at your vocational technical school by junior or senior year students with all of the stories I've heard from Maaco / Flake-o or Earl Scheib.
Been there done that but it took them about 6 months do it and honestly the paintwork wasn't any better than Maico or E.S.'s. But the school did do some prep work and they did mask off the trim and stuff. The secret to an E.S. or a Maico paint job was to throughly clean the outside of the car and removed all of the trim and to sand the car yourself and do all of the prep work yourself before taking it to them. They would mask off the windows before painting a car but that was all. All exposed trim and rubber parts got painted. The paint and body shop that I worked in in the very early 70s charged a MINIMUM of $300 to paint a car (we did the proper prep work) but at the time, you could get an E.S. or Maico paint for (IIRC) as little as $19.95. A lot of people really couldn't afford $300+ at the time so Maico and E.S. were good alternatives.

I’d love to do that on one of my cars, issue is, how do I find a school willing to take the car?
I've never done it but I'd start by calling around local vocational technical high schools. Who knows, maybe even the parts guys at AutoZone etc. might have some connections.

There was also a cheap paint joint in Charlotte called Fact-O-Bake. They painted my buddy’s 1969 Cutlass three times before getting it right. Not sure if it is the same company but there are still paint shops by that name in the south…

Back