EAO09,10,12,13 back but

Status
Not open for further replies.
They are now designated as 15,000 miles filters (size matters) and carry new part numbers.

EAO09 is now EA15K09 etc

Also some 25,000 mile filters are being re-designated as 15,000 mile filter
They are
EA15K20 (EAO20)
EA15K29 (EAO29)
EA15K32 (EAO32)
EA15K33 (EAO33)
EA15K46 (EAO36)
EA15K50 (EAO50)
EA15K51 (EAO51)
The engine design technologies used in these vehicles are just to demanding on the oil filter to continue offering 25,000 mile intervals on small filters.

In case anyone cares, now available

From the Amsoil website...

=================================================================

Ea Filters designated with product code Ea15K are recommended for 15,000 miles/one year, whichever comes first, in normal or severe service.

Ea Filters designated with product code EaO are recommended for 25,000 miles/one year, whichever comes first, in normal service or 15,000 miles/one year, whichever comes first, in severe service.

=============================================================

But essentially these are all 15k filters because very few people actually qualify under the normal service designation.

Does this mean they filter worse compared to their old counterparts that could clog in Toyota's or just a size increase?

Don't know the precise answer to that..

Quote:
Ea Oil Filters recommended for 15,000-
mile service intervals are designated by the product code EA15K. These filters have been redesigned, but still feature the same premium nanofiber synthetic media as their 25,000-mile counterparts.

About time! I've been wanting to use their filters for a while now.

If only they'd release the air filter next for my 07 Civic.
pray.gif

^who are you kidding. If anything, it should go up as a result of the increased R&D that needed to be done.

This technically isn't Amsoil's fault that SOME engines just can't do 25k OCIs because of small OE filters.

They had to redesign as a result of those small POS filters.

@ $12 PC price, i'm buying the EA oil filter regardless.

I asked a question, a simple no would have been enough of an answer. Maybe a little more R&D should have gone into those smaller filters before they made the 25K mile claim for filter life. The mfg of the engine didn't advise using a filter for 25,000 miles thats for sure. But that's a whole different story.

Its interesting that XOM, who are big enough to buy Amsoil out a few times over, if their primary money maker wasn't crude oil and refined gasoline sales, has the money to R&D their Mobil 1 EP 15k filter and not even sneeze at the expense or pass it on to the consumer directly, in the form of a filter price increase, rates the filter only at 15k to match their top of the line Mobil 1 EP 15k oil.

I'm just throwing this out there, but I know Amsoil recently paid out the costs of an engine rebuild after their 25k rated filter grenaded an engine; this has been documented in its own BITOG thread and is old news now, I doubt many of the details were disclosed as part of the settlement agreement in the pay out, but maybe it hurt them enough to reflect whether a 25k lifespan was the ideal way to go when engines are becoming harder on oil (I'm thinking of things like DI and turbo here, which are more and more common place today), even if the oil itself is improving (Dexos, API SN, GF-5 specs all demand better minimum standards for oil).

Maybe XOM had the right idea when they went only as high as 15K on their top of the line oil and filter and anything more is too much to ask any engine, long term to cope in (in regular service, which doesn't require nothing but mostly long highway mile commutes to meet, even though that and a warm climate are the optimal environmental conditions for oil to operate in).

Maybe the new 15k OCI is more realistic for an every engine in standard service the recommendation and warranty cover.

I think demar had the right of it to ask if, after shaving 10k off the filter's rated lifespan, they reduced the price at all. Its a valid question whether the reader likes it or not.

-Spyder

Thank Mike for rolling this out on BITOG. Was gonna be my first project this AM!!

Here's the link: EaO and Ea15K LINK

Originally Posted By: Spyder7

I doubt many of the details were disclosed as part of the settlement agreement in the pay out, but maybe it hurt them enough to reflect whether a 25k lifespan was the ideal way to go when engines are becoming harder on oil (I'm thinking of things like DI and turbo here, which are more and more common place today), even if the oil itself is improving (Dexos, API SN, GF-5 specs all demand better minimum standards for oil).

Settlement agreement? "Hurt them enough"? Amsoil honored their warranty.

But Amsoil went beyond that, they sent out announcements via email and snail mail on the issue. They didn't hide from it. Some here predicted a huge amount of engine failures were lurking and all sorts of interesting thoughts. Didn't happen. Amsoil did long term studies and research on the filters - they performed as they have on many many cars - flawlessly. To say "Maybe a little more R&D should have gone into those smaller filters before they made the 25K mile claim...." is a fair enough thing to ask, but don't assume no research was done. It really points to more rare circumstances leading to the filter issue, than some complete failure of R&D.

Kudos to Amsoil for stepping up and actually some were thinking we would be well into 2011 before the new small filters would come out.

I'll need to swap the Mann off the Honda!

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Thank Mike for rolling this out on BITOG. Was gonna be my first project this AM!!

Here's the link: EaO and Ea15K LINK

Originally Posted By: Spyder7

I doubt many of the details were disclosed as part of the settlement agreement in the pay out, but maybe it hurt them enough to reflect whether a 25k lifespan was the ideal way to go when engines are becoming harder on oil (I'm thinking of things like DI and turbo here, which are more and more common place today), even if the oil itself is improving (Dexos, API SN, GF-5 specs all demand better minimum standards for oil).

Settlement agreement? "Hurt them enough"? Amsoil honored their warranty.

But Amsoil went beyond that, they sent out announcements via email and snail mail on the issue. They didn't hide from it. Some here predicted a huge amount of engine failures were lurking and all sorts of interesting thoughts. Didn't happen. Amsoil did long term studies and research on the filters - they performed as they have on many many cars - flawlessly. To say "Maybe a little more R&D should have gone into those smaller filters before they made the 25K mile claim...." is a fair enough thing to ask, but don't assume no research was done. It really points to more rare circumstances leading to the filter issue, than some complete failure of R&D.

Kudos to Amsoil for stepping up and actually some were thinking we would be well into 2011 before the new small filters would come out.

I'll need to swap the Mann off the Honda!

While I agree with most of what you said this is open for debate: You said Quote: [Some here predicted a huge amount of engine failures were lurking and all sorts of interesting thoughts. Didn't happen.] We can add the word, "yet", but that's harsh. It can still happen, how about those people who followed Amsoil's recommended interval for the filter that might have caused damage, only it isn't showing up now? Time will tell. Amsoil isn't going to pay those users to open up the engines and have a look, and a $25 UOA sure isn't going to tell. Thankfully the percentages of people using those filters is small, and maybe those cars will be sold to someone else and it will be their problem!

The other thing is the service life was cut from 25000 to 15,000 miles and the price drop was $1.35 less. Nice jump in profit margin I'd say..........They raised the price by lowering it, good marketing.

Some of the oem's are realizing that small filters pose problems with longer drain intervals even they are pushing. For instance, AC Delco recently came out with a longer version of the PF48, the PF63 and recommending it for some 2011 vehicles that previously used the smaller PF48, mostly those with newer style engines, e.g. Acadia, Traverse, Buicks etc.

I was reading an article somewhere that theorized that ceramic oil filters may be the future because 99% of the filters on the market are made for the 3,000 mile service life. The ceramic can be recycled and 100% of the used oil reclaimed from them which can not be said for the existing filters. Of course these filters will be every expensive but in the US alone some 500 million oil filters are disposed of annually.

Originally Posted By: Mike_dup1

I was reading an article somewhere that theorized that ceramic oil filters may be the future because 99% of the filters on the market are made for the 3,000 mile service life. The ceramic can be recycled and 100% of the used oil reclaimed from them. If course these filters will be every expensive but in the US along some 500 million oil filters are disposed of annually.

There is probably a lot of truth there, also certain engines and applications are harder on oil and filters than others. That is where the major problem lies with a 25,000 mile filter and a one size fits all blanket statement. Engines can get damaged, as already proven. It would be very costly to test every possibility so being a bit more cautious as an end user would be a smart thing IMO. Amsoil makes some good products, but diving into 25,000 mile filter change is something that is not for everyone. Caution should be taken when considering stretching the limits beyond the auto mfg suggested intervals. JMO

Things like DI, turbo, rotary engines, and sometimes even timing chains (as with the 1ZZ-FE), are all hard on oil.

If you were buying one of two identical used cars at the same price and mileage, but one ran a good OTC syn like PU or Mobil-1 EP and a good filter appropriate to the 12K OCI they used it over (as example, the 15k rated Mobil 1 EP), changed twice yearly every 12k (spring and fall) vs an owner who used a 25k rated oil and filter they changed once yearly at 24k - which car would you rather buy?

I will take the car that's had fresh oil put in the sump every fall, and the winter beaten oil changed out in the spring, over the car that's only ever seen a fresh oil and filter once a year.

And I didn't need Amsoil to introduce a new product line or modify the recommended change interval on their filter to know that, for most people, in most climates in NA, 25k and one year is too long to run an OCI. Especially if you add in the factors I mentioned in my first paragraph.

Maybe over the 5 or 7 year warranty period many will keep the car over, there will be no major problems in the 125k-175k interval using the mileage from my example, that they keep the car over.

But with engines today capable of going well beyond 200k, and improvements in corrosion control that is allowing the rest of the car to keep up, then in my example I want the car bought at the 5-7 interval, in my example, with 125-175k on it, that's going to take me beyond 250k with no rebuild or engine replacement, and I believe, IMHO, that the car running 2 OCIs a year is more likely to do it than the having its oil and filter changed once a year, every 24k, even if that oil and filter is the top of the line offerings from Amsoil.

Amsoil certainly makes excellent products, but this is my own opinion on how best to maintain the lubrication system so as to maximize the longevity of the engine. Note too that I buy well used cars (this car turned 10 years old the month before I bought it) that I maintain, and go over their service history meticulously before buying, with the idea of keeping them on the road and free of major problems for a 5-10 year interval (this car is maintained with the expectation that it will remain a dependable DD over at least the next 5 years).

-Spyder

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back