Eagle One Gel Carnuba wax

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used this today on my sonata and I wasnt that impressed with it. It was real runny and didnt seem to provide too much protection just a shine. It doesnt have that smooth just waxed feeling to it. Maybe I will try re applying some but I was wondering if anyone else has hd exprience with this?

The only good part was tat there was no white residue left but I guess for the protection I would take the white residue.

It was rated #11 out of 12 liquid waxes reviewed in the latest (i.e. November 2011) Consumer Reports. It received a poor rating for durability, good (which isn't so good) for gloss improvement, and good for cleaning.

Sounds like I wont be using this anymore...I definitely have to agree with those ratings, it was disapointing to make time to do this and come out with the results I did.

Originally Posted By: barlowc
It was rated #11 out of 12 liquid waxes reviewed in the latest (i.e. November 2011) Consumer Reports. It received a poor rating for durability, good (which isn't so good) for gloss improvement, and good for cleaning.

Can you tell us what 1 thru 12 were? Thanks!

Originally Posted By: 4x4chevydude
It doesnt have that smooth just waxed feeling to it.

Was your surface cleaned with a pre-wax cleaner and/or clay barred properly before waxing? A clean and smooth surface is required for good wax adhesion and performance.

Our local AutoZone had a 2 for 1 sale this weekend on the stuff
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
Was your surface cleaned with a pre-wax cleaner and/or clay barred properly before waxing? A clean and smooth surface is required for good wax adhesion and performance.

Valid question. I would add that the OP shouldn't be so hard on himself or the product. A half good wax job is better than what most people do for their vehicles.

Originally Posted By: Chris B.
Can you tell us what 1 thru 12 were? Thanks!

In the liquid wax category...

1) Meguiar's NXT Generation Tech Wax 2.0
2) Nu Finish
3) Meguiar's Gold Class Carnauba Plus Premium Liquid Wax
4) 3M One Step Cleaner Wax
5) Meguiar's Cleaner Wax
6) Mothers California Gold Carnauba Cleaner Wax
7) Auto Glym Super Resin Polish
8) Mothers FX Engineered SynWax
9) Zymol Cleaner Wax
10) Turtle Wax Carnauba Cleaner Wax
11) Eagle One Gel Wax with Carnauba
12) Turtle Wax Ice Synthetic Polish

#'s 1, 3, 4, and 7 were Recommended. #'s 2, 5, and 6 were Best Buys.

When it came to the Durability criteria, only one was considered Very Good... Nu Finish.

It was not clay barred but it was clean, I might try giving it a bath with Meguaires gold class before next time and apply it one more time...I tried a second application on my moms Denali and it looks nice but again doesnt feel like a just waxed car usually feels.

Originally Posted By: 4x4chevydude
It was not clay barred but it was clean, I might try giving it a bath with Meguaires gold class before next time and apply it one more time...I tried a second application on my moms Denali and it looks nice but again doesnt feel like a just waxed car usually feels.

Use DAWN dish soap or equivalent before a detail. That strips all the old wax and cleans the best. This is what most pro detailers do. But only use car wash soap after that, of course to maintain your wax.

Ya i have heard of using the dish soap to remove all old wax, but my question is wouldnt it be more prectecting to just layer on the wax instead of removing old wax, like if there was still a little old wax wouldnt it just be a more protective barrier when you add the new?

I guess its not too bad after a couple days, my moms Denali came out smoother than my car, but over all the water beads pretty nice and it shines good. All in all i guess its an ok product to use, I probably wont be purchaisng it again but I am sure its protecting great for the use this winter.

I've written several reviews on this E1GW and I have mixed feeling on it. Although, unlike 4X4 Chevydude, I did mention that the E1GW left a just clayed smooth feel to the paint, IMHO.

Eagle One got a much higher rating in previous CR tests which made me try it. My vehicles, one red and one silver, both look shiny and water beads even after 3-4 months. The red truck sits out all the time so I am satisfied with the product and no white residue on the trim is a bonus. JMO

E1GW can be hard to remove when sitting too long in the sun but, altimately it all come off leaving a nice shine without streaking on dark colors such as black.

I've actually had great results from the eagle 1 gel wax on my motorcycle and truck. Both are black... The trick is to NOT let it dry at all. Just wipe it on with an applicator and wipe it off. If you let it sit and it starts to dry it becomes very difficult to remove. Similar to Zymol in my experience... I was stoked when autozone had a buy one get one free on the eagle 1. I already had a bottle but bought 2 more since it came out to $5 each. My bike's black paint has a little flake in it, and I get the best results by using a microfiber applicator, doing an initial wipe with a soft cotton cloth, then after the whole bike is done, giving it a gentle buff with a microfiber. Just did it last week and it still looks great and has a slick feel to it.

I've had excellent results with it but the finish on my 06 Mustang was already in very good condition. I use it very sparingly and then wipe it off almost immediately. I also use it pretty often so the finish stays very clean and smooth.

Originally Posted By: ryanschillinger
I've actually had great results from the eagle 1 gel wax on my motorcycle and truck. Both are black... The trick is to NOT let it dry at all. Just wipe it on with an applicator and wipe it off. If you let it sit and it starts to dry it becomes very difficult to remove. Similar to Zymol in my experience... I was stoked when autozone had a buy one get one free on the eagle 1. I already had a bottle but bought 2 more since it came out to $5 each. My bike's black paint has a little flake in it, and I get the best results by using a microfiber applicator, doing an initial wipe with a soft cotton cloth, then after the whole bike is done, giving it a gentle buff with a microfiber. Just did it last week and it still looks great and has a slick feel to it.

Exactly! Apply and wipe off right away! This is the key to it's removal. I have posted here at Bob's, several of my own reviews on the E1GW that I bought 3/$9 on sale. At first I liked it very much but now, I like it but, don't love it!

This is just one of my reviews:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...569#Post2222569

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back