E60 525i N52 AUS OIL

TLDR what oil in AUS for an E60 with the N52

Hi Guys,

I'm currently driving a 2008 BMW 525i with the N52 engine down in Australia. I have been hearing and reading very conflicting stories on oil (What else is new xD) due to my hotter climate(-5.c - 50.c) and my harder driving conditions.

When i first got the car at 55,000km i was using Castrol Full Syn 0w40 as the car seemed to run smooth and be within good temps, however i found like my v6 Accord the castrol used to go down 1l per 1000km roughly(I realize that's within spec). So i switched to the Penrite HPR5 i had left over from my forester, the BMW is now at 85k. The car runs extremely quiet on this oil and after 5-6k it hasn't used anything on the dipstick. I was very happy with my choice until i was warned off Penrite by both the dealer and indy mechanic.

Has anyone got any good recommendations on oil or can tell me why my choice is bad? i seem to see allot of indy's in Aus using the German Castrol, Motul or Liquimoly. I usually change my own oil and filter every 6-8k or 6 months.

Thanks
ZX3R

P.S Was looking at going to https://liqui-moly.com.au/product/top-tec-4200-5w-30-2/ but its BMW LL-04 and it will Comply with LL-01?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by zx3rrider
I'm currently driving a 2008 BMW 525i with the N52 engine down in Australia.....due to my hotter climate(-5.c - 50.c) and my harder driving conditions.
Hot weather, hard driving. I'll say get https://www.mobil.com/english-au/passenger-vehicle-lube/pds/glxxmobil-1-5w50 ... It has a lot of German spec approvals, not BMW, but that is sometimes a collaborative choice. Stout oil that would work, since it does have HTHS=4.4 in a full syn oil from an experienced company, Mobil.
Any 5w50 you find that has some tough German specs would be the best choice for an N52, hot, hard driving.
If you can't find 5w50 easily in a brand you want, then any 5w40 with German spec approvals should work about as well. The N52 does have a coolant-to-oil cooler to help with oil temperature getting too out of control when driving hard. If not the Mobil 5w50, there is https://msdspds.castrol.com/bpglis/FusionPDS.nsf/Files/EA96AC05824B089F80257F660024386F/$File/BPXE-A2A4GE.pdf as another option.
P.S Was looking at going to https://liqui-moly.com.au/product/top-tec-4200-5w-30-2/ but its BMW LL-04 and it will Comply with LL-01?
LL-04 will not comply with LL-01. LL-04 is low-mid saps, and LL-01 is full saps oil.

I'm not sure why you are hearing people say "not Penrite". If its a reputable company, and you see that is passes some difficult German specs (Porsche, Mercedes, BMW, any like that), then use it with confidence.

Why did they warn you about Penrite? That reduction in oil consumption with it is huge. It's doing something right in the rings and cylinders that Castrol 0W-40 wasn't and it probably has nothing to do with volatility, since that Castrol oil has low volatility.

I was thinking about Mobil, worst case is it ends up burning to fast for my taste like allot of these engines seem to do and i try something else? Is it bad to keep trying different oils?

My driving is usually 35% stop start, 55% highway and 10% spirited country roads, i really use the rev range as its a big car with a small engine. So by hard i mean im up in the revs allot, more aggressive then a usual driver haha.

Last edited:
Yeah the Penrite seems to be very happy in allot of cars i put it in... plus its usually on sale haha. I'm just worried as i want this car to last the 300k my Accord did and its allot more complicated haha.

Hi Mate,

I've used a lot of Penrite oil, I think it's good stuff.

The HRP 5 (5W40) claims BMW LL-01, and it has significantly reduced your oil consumption, so I would just keep using it. It will be fine for your temperature range.

Here is a link to the Penrite HPR 5 web page

The HPR5 oil carries a lot of good OEMs: A3/B4, BMW LL-01, MB 229.5, Porsche A40, VW 502/505.00, with a viscosity of KV100 = 14.4 cSt

The Castrol Edge 0W40 carries the same OEMs, but it's a thinner oil KV100 = 13.1 cSt.

So I think your car just consumes less oil when you run a thicker oil, which is not unusual and not much to worry about, just use the thicker stuff that meets your approvals.

Thanks for the reply mate.

I was also looking at Mobil 1 0w40 and Catrol Edge 5w40, is the Penrite a 'better' oil for my conditions? I'm about to do a 4000km return trip so i really want the car to be happy with what is in it
smile.gif

I found the Castrol 0w40 to be allot quieter at cold startup.

Last edited:
Hi Mate,

All of those oils are top shelf, Castrol Edge 0w40, Castrol Edge 5W40, M1 0W40, Penrite HPR5 5W40 plus I would add Shell Helix Ultra 5W40 and Valvoline SynPower 0W40 to the list. All carry a big list of Euro OEM specs. I don't think any one is better than the other.

Me I would just buy on price unless I found one that worked better than the rest, then I would stick to that one.

As you already said about the Penrite "The car runs extremely quiet on this oil and after 5-6k it hasn't used anything on the dipstick."

Been a while, the e60 is long gone and the SHU was a great oil in that motor(Burnt 500ml-1000ml every 3000km but was silent as a mouse) very happy with it thanks to SR5. I have moved onto a newer 5 series still with an N52 however the indy mechanic i used put LM Toptec 4200 in it 6500km ago (No oil burned!). I thought being an LL04 oil it wouldnt be the best idea in a gasoline car? How does the LM toptec 4200 5w30 compare to the SHU 5w-40 in terms of performance?

Thanks
ZX3R

Thanks for the reply mate.

I was also looking at Mobil 1 0w40 and Catrol Edge 5w40, is the Penrite a 'better' oil for my conditions? I'm about to do a 4000km return trip so i really want the car to be happy with what is in it
smile.gif

I found the Castrol 0w40 to be allot quieter at cold startup.

Have had the same experience with Castrol Edge

Back