E46 Valve cover pics (48k miles)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw the engine of the Bimmer with VC off for the first time today. (Had VCG replaced due to 1 spark plug well possibly leaking and because the local indie BMW shop had a VCG + Vanos Seals/Anti rattle kit "special" and made use of it, although my car might have been too "young" for VANOS by most standards).

Techs were full of praise of the cleanliness of the engine.

I change oil every 8k - 9k miles, and have used GC (not green), old BC 0w/40, PU 5/40 with Mann or Mahle filters.

Looks clean. Here is mine at 52K miles, also while getting its VCG replaced...

P1040095_1600.jpg

Really does look fantastic buddy. Thank you sharing, next time I visit Fort Bragg, I want to take it for a spin! Really amazing to see the cleanliness for 8-9 K OCI's. Impressive.

Originally Posted By: Georgiey22
Really does look fantastic buddy. Thank you sharing, next time I visit Fort Bragg, I want to take it for a spin! Really amazing to see the cleanliness for 8-9 K OCI's. Impressive.

Haha! Thanks! let me know if you're in this area, anytime.
smile.gif

- and thanks for all the other comments too!

grin.gif
The insides look great, but with (2) BMWs with leaking VCG @ < 60K, the outside of the engines, maybe not so much.... lol

Last edited:
smile.gif
well, mine was a small spark plug well gasket leak, only on 1 cylinder; There were no other leaks. VC itself wasn't leaking.

Originally Posted By: kozanoglu
Why does the valve cover need to come off on these so early at 50k miles?

Described in opening post - did you read at all?

Originally Posted By: bvance554
Looks fantastic, but its 48k (yawn).
oh yeah I know that- just posted because this is the first time I've ever seen any of my cars with valve covers off - not to brag or anything but I WAS glad to see it clean, sometimes even low mileage engines can be dirty/sludgy.

No, you should be *unhappy* because you had to open the engine at this low mileage :)

We are just playing with you but one should not expect spark plug tubes to leak for such a new car.

Well the rubber (or whatever VCG is made of) is 10 yrs old no?
I think a lot of sitting is not doing it any good either ...
I know BMW owners from forums whose VCG was leaking even before mine - no real explanation to why it happens so early on these cars, unless it is really the age that counts and not the actual miles

BMW did upgrade the material of the VCG at some point so perhaps they also knew something was going on ? Idk but I think it's prudent to get it checked on these cars even at low mileage ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back