E15 coming soon?

I don't know about the American farmer's ability to sell their products, I just know that the agricultural industry is heavily subsidized, especially for corn/grain used in ethanol production. I said "farmers gotta get paid" because some farmers are paid to produce nothing. Also, many farmers are really fuel producers, not food producers. Ethanol is a big scam in the name of green energy and "energy independence" -- the system is unsustainable, hence the subsidies.
I think it’s a complicated subject and a word of caution here and there is fitting.
The oil & gas industry no doubt has had mishaps that have led to stronger regulation. But now that I’m seeing miles of new corn following a river near the estuary and bays connected to the ocean ? … It worries me to see all the chemical company signs placed in front of the corn.
For years we had rain based corn … now with the current supply chain linkage it’s massive scale irrigated

^ Good point with the caution, yes it is a complicated topic. Honestly I am also concerned about the genetic modification of the foodstocks in order to have the largest harvest possible. GMO is everywhere, and it could become a huge problem if not treated with the proper respect.

We have E15 at most of the new Caseys around here and it never gets used. Its a nickel cheaper but my gut tells me that e10 is probably worth the cost with a better return. I'm not a fan of e15 and many auto companies share my view. Its gonna be winter before long and it seems that e10-e0 start easier in the cold. Think higher ethanol also lowers the oil change interval too.
A lot of new vehicles allows you run up to 15% ethanol, all those approved by the auto companies. Where the auto companies is against E15, is where the EPA claims any vehicle manufactured after 2001 is capable to run on E15. I used to have an 03 Blazer and ran that on E15 no problem. I asked some mechanics about doing that, and they just told me, as long as your check engine light doesn't come on, you are OK.

A lot of new vehicles allows you run up to 15% ethanol, all those approved by the auto companies. Where the auto companies is against E15, is where the EPA claims any vehicle manufactured after 2001 is capable to run on E15. I used to have an 03 Blazer and ran that on E15 no problem. I asked some mechanics about doing that, and they just told me, as long as your check engine light doesn't come on, you are OK.
Because most mechanics know as much about e15 or e85 as they do about motor oil.

How long did you run your blazer on e15? I can't see it being a problem until you've ran it for years. In my case e10 seems to crack rubber fuel hoses in around 5 years of use. Stored for winter with e0, ran with e10 the rest of the year.

We run E15 in a 2012 Cruze with no issues and have been for 5yrs. I ran E85 at a 50/50 mix in my 2002 Silverado that was not spec'ed for Flexfuel and it ran great and I put 40k miles or more on it in the last 5yrs of ownership. No issues.

I don't know about the American farmer's ability to sell their products, I just know that the agricultural industry is heavily subsidized, especially for corn/grain used in ethanol production. I said "farmers gotta get paid" because some farmers are paid to produce nothing. Also, many farmers are really fuel producers, not food producers. Ethanol is a big scam in the name of green energy and "energy independence" -- the system is unsustainable, hence the subsidies.
There are no more ethanol subsidies and when there was they didn’t go to the farmer, they went to the oil companies.

Because most mechanics know as much about e15 or e85 as they do about motor oil.

How long did you run your blazer on e15? I can't see it being a problem until you've ran it for years. In my case e10 seems to crack rubber fuel hoses in around 5 years of use. Stored for winter with e0, ran with e10 the rest of the year.
They may not know about e15 or e85, but they know what comes in to be repaired. I spoke to one mechanic and he told me, he heard about all the problems that they would get when e10 came out. You know what, he told me, the work never materialized. Never seen an increase in work in what they claim would happen.

They may not know about e15 or e85, but they know what comes in to be repaired. I spoke to one mechanic and he told me, he heard about all the problems that they would get when e10 came out. You know what, he told me, the work never materialized. Never seen an increase in work in what they claim would happen.
That would be felt true in the shop I worked at, but all cars were daily drivers and no carburetors almost ever. Except my cars. I had a needle and seat plug up with white buildup all over. The shop around the corner that does work on old cars regularly had it on the shelf and we fixed it that afternoon in our shop that never works on old cars. I always park it with premium but the winter before the needle and seat issue I believe I bought gas I thought to be e0 and it actually was not. Sitting for 6 months+ with ethanol gas is asking for trouble, but much more so in a carbureted vehicle since they take much less to plug up.

I ran E85 at a 50/50 mix in my 2002 Silverado that was not spec'ed for Flexfuel and it ran great and I put 40k miles or more on it in the last 5yrs of ownership. No issues.

The e85 portion of your brew could have been as high as 83% ethanol and as low as 51%, plus the e10 in the other half of your mix, leaves you between E30 and E45 I guess. Interesting.

Back