E15 coming soon?

Did I hear that correctly during last night's RNC?
or was I hearing things...?
the congress-lady (from the barn) speech? E15 approval on behalf of farmers ....

Anyone else catch that?

We have E15 at most of the new Caseys around here and it never gets used. Its a nickel cheaper but my gut tells me that e10 is probably worth the cost with a better return. I'm not a fan of e15 and many auto companies share my view. Its gonna be winter before long and it seems that e10-e0 start easier in the cold. Think higher ethanol also lowers the oil change interval too.

Assuming on how accurately the E10 one buys was blended, i'll bet you have burned E15 many times without knowing it. Probably some E5 also.

The AMA (american motorcycle association) has and continues to lobby against E15 since pretty much no motorcycle is spec'd for it. I could see it being offered much like E85 currently is (optional at SOME pumps), but E10 really should be the limit.

A return to E0 would be great as well.

Did I hear that correctly during last night's RNC?
or was I hearing things...?
the congress-lady (from the barn) speech? E15 approval on behalf of farmers ....

Anyone else catch that?

We've had E15 (88 Octane on the pump) for a couple years in Eastern Iowa now. I've seen no noticeable difference in mileage in my 2014 T&C and it is usually cheaper than E10.

Just my $0.02

If I recall correctly, E15 has to be dispensed from a separate nozzle and has to very clearly marked. This added expense is going to delay its roll out. The only place I’ve seen it is out west in corn country.

E15 is here and has been here for a couple of years. Typically priced 5 cents cheaper than E10 and marketed often as Super 88.

I've used it in my truck which did take advantage of the higher octane per the octane adjustment ratio, but it resulted in about a 2-3% hit in fuel mileage as one should expect. At current fuel prices, it is close to a wash.

There are only a couple of stations around here that sell E15. I've been using it pretty consistently for almost two years in my 2012 Mazda3. My observations are the same as tnt_motorsports'. My fuel economy is unchanged, it's 5 cents less per gallon, and it slightly improves take-offs on hot summer days when I noticed some lag.

Been using it here for a few years now after they built a new Murphy's station just down the road. I've used it in both our previous vehicles (2014 Volt, 2006 Pilot) and current with no measurable change in mpg. There's 4 pumps that have diesel, e15, 87,89 and 93 and then another set with e85 instead of the e15.

I doubt it. The weights and measures people would have caught these discrepancies.
Weights and measurements is a once of year thing in Missouri. So easy to sluff off extra corn squeezin's or not put any in. All the state really worries about is if we get the gallons we pay for and for them to get their tax per gallon. They are real sticklers in the grocery stores on their scales though.

To stay on topic, I use non ethanol in the cycle and the mowers. First and last runs of the season get a splash of Gumout with PEA and is also a fuel stabilizer. My trimmer is electric. E10 in the truck. Just an observation. When I bought E0 today for the cycle it had that good old gas aroma. The only E10 that smells like the E0 is the 93 octance Amoco Ultimate at BP. The foulest smelling is Casey's.

Last edited:
Ran it with absolutely 0 problems in my Caliber which was specced for E10. Got the same fuel economy and the engine felt the same.

Right now the cost of alcohol is higher than the cost of the gasoline. It is offset by no tax on the alcohol.

Rod
Most infrastructure is still centered around E10 anyways. It's easily the most effective octane booster. Most refiners aren't interested in just selling only E0 and then trying to figure out what to do with lower octane fuel that can't be sold as passenger fuel.

I read something interesting related to this. There is a bit of a supply shortage on CO2 to use in carbonated beverages due to the reduction in the demand for fuel. Carbon dioxide is given off by the yeast during the fermentation of corn sugar into alcohol. I never realized they captured all that CO2 for making soda.

I read something interesting related to this. There is a bit of a supply shortage on CO2 to use in carbonated beverages due to the reduction in the demand for fuel. Carbon dioxide is given off by the yeast during the fermentation of corn sugar into alcohol. I never realized they captured all that CO2 for making soda.
I didn't know that either. Apparently the shortage has eased a bit and looks like we are out of the woods.

Back in the day when I worked in a research lab we would get these cylinders of CO2 with the eductor tube to make small batches of dry ice. You could easily smell a yeasty odor in the gas as it was released.

I doubt there's any one source for industrial CO2. One would think that pulling it out of the air would be the logical way to produce it, but apparently it's not efficient to do so. This claims a major source is capture from power plant emissions.

Assuming on how accurately the E10 one buys was blended, i'll bet you have burned E15 many times without knowing it. Probably some E5 also.
Blending done at the terminals is very accurate. So what are you talking about?

The energy content of gasoline is 30% better. So E15 is not worth the nickel savings over E10.
And certainly if we could all buy E0 for the same price that would be the ticket.

I doubt there's any one source for industrial CO2. One would think that pulling it out of the air would be the logical way to produce it, but apparently it's not efficient to do so. This claims a major source is capture from power plant emissions.

Fermentation processes are a major source of co2 for industrial use. It is easy to collect it and compress it. Several ethanol plants have a Co2 plant with them. If you ever got your head near and open manhole on a running fermenter it is like inhaling the first whiff off a bottle of soda times a thousand. Even plants that make beer sometimes have a Compressed gas company recovering it. Corn mill I used to work at that had an ethanol plant with it that used to have a Co2 plant on it along with a dry ice plant.

Back