E-test & Oil change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Currently my villager is running on 50% GC & 50% Formula Shell and it's just over 4k miles on the oil... 50% highway & 50% short trip and stop and go traffic
Should I dump it and put some new oil for e-test?
any story anyone wants to share?

Not much mileage for a blend like that....I'd leave it.

Last couple of e-tests I've had have been when an OCI is due, so it goes in for both at the same time.

Getting unbelievably low readings on my e-tests...don't entirely know why!

I would run the E-test with the current fill. I recently E-tested both my parents vehicles that were well into their OCI. Emissions in total were extremely low. Nowhere near any limit. Thats using dino I got on sale.

thanks for the input!
I read a few internet websites and says it's better to change oil, air filter, PCV valve, spark plugs, etc
The van is in decent condition and there is no consumption after 4k miles/ 6500km!

Changing the oil just before an emission test will definatly clean up the HC's.

Been doin that here in Ca for years. My boss' truck failed by about 10 HC's. I changed the oil and filter and it blew through the test beating the old numbers by a large margin.

oil will have little to no effect on E-test . weak or miss-firing spark plugs,weak o2 sensors, vaccum leak, cats are biggest problem. A little story for you 1998 mercury mystique with weak 02 sensor.Go in for etest at ford dealer tech comes back man your lucky just squeezed through the test. HC PPM reading 67 limit 67 , CO reading 0.12 limit 0.37 , NO PPM reading 14 limit 501. So i said great and took off, about 4 miles down the highway you guest it the check engine light comes on stop at my local mechanic pulls a code 02 sensor weak. And really the car was runnig great but rich enough to throw a code and really should have failed the etest. timing was on my side. My next e-test 2 years later with new 02 sensors, the the HC reading went from 67 to 11 just shows how much a weak or bad sensor can change a reading.

You would have to burning oil to get a high reading, no way changing the oil would have such an effect, there had to be a underlying circumstance.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hemitom
You would have to burning oil to get a high reading, no way changing the oil would have such an effect, there had to be a underlying circumstance.
you guys are wrong!!! It does make a difference and it's been a trick to clean up a cars emissions as long as I can remember. The cars PCV system brings fuel vapors from the dirty oil into the intake.

Putting clean oil in the engine temporally removes the fuel vapors untill new ones settle into the new oil. If you don't believe me call your local smog test station and ask them.

Passed...
6800km/4200miles this oil combo (GC & FS)...
(Manufacture recommends 5000km/3months)
The car has no oil consumption!
Maybe newer oil will bring the HC reading to single digit, but it is still nowhere near the limit!

ASM 2525
HC ppm Limit - 50 Reading - 15
CO% Limit - .28 Reading - 0.00

Curb Idle
HC ppm Limit - 200 Reading - 13
CO% Limit - 1.00 Reading - 0.20

Last edited:
Myth #1 busted - oil change may not be necessarily prior to e-test (if you don't have oil consumption)!

Comparing to the result 2 years ago

i used to put premium fuel on the past e-tests and this run was with regular (Shell nitrogen), the result is almost the same...

Myth #2 busted - Premium fuel may not be necessarily reduce emission!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back