E rated tire for K1500 pickup?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 1995 K1500 pickup which needs tires. The GVWR is 6100 lbs. I'm looking at the Starfire SF510 tires (Cooper). The options are 225/75R16 which has a 1984 lb load capacity and 44 PSI max. They also have an E-rated LT225/75R16 with 2680 lb capacity and 80 PSI max. $10 difference per tire.

Is the lesser rated tire sufficient or should I go for the E rated? Tread life is not an issue because I put under 2k miles a year on it. Truck is going to be used for hauling firewood and possibly ~5k lb boat & trailer in the future.

Tire specs here: http://www.atoztire.com/images/tireimages/SF510_specs.pdf

Thanks.

Whatever it calls for on the placard is sufficient. If that's not an E-rated tire, then you don't need an E-rated tire.

Use whatever you want. As long as it is equal to or above what the truck originally specified, you're good.

I personally prefer a bit heavier of a tire for towing.

It's not really the "load range" you need to look at, but the actual weight rating of the tires. The total weight rating of the two tires on each axle needs to be at least equal to the GAWR for the axle.

Originally Posted By: WA1DH
Truck is going to be used for hauling firewood

Given this, I'd go with the load range E tires. firewood gets heavy real quick. The lower rated tires only give you a total axle weight of 3,968 lbs. I'll bet you're exceeding this by a good amount with a bed full of firewood.

If you buy the LR E tires, they will be a lot more solid feeling with 50 psi in them than the standard load version will be with 44 psi when you are loaded with fire wood. I hate tires that get that side to side squeamishness when loaded. Unless cost is all that matters, get the E rated tires. They will probably rid a little firmer and cost a small amount of fuel, but would be worth it if you haul and tow. Don't put 80 psi in them, it might be more than your rim can handle.

Maybe look for a load range D tire, it would be more than enough for weight capacity and won't make your truck ride like a dump truck

Originally Posted By: WA1DH
I have a 1995 K1500 pickup which needs tires. The GVWR is 6100 lbs. I'm looking at the Starfire SF510 tires (Cooper). The options are 225/75R16 which has a 1984 lb load capacity and 44 PSI max. They also have an E-rated LT225/75R16 with 2680 lb capacity and 80 PSI max. $10 difference per tire.

Is the lesser rated tire sufficient or should I go for the E rated? Tread life is not an issue because I put under 2k miles a year on it. Truck is going to be used for hauling firewood and possibly ~5k lb boat & trailer in the future.

Tire specs here: http://www.atoztire.com/images/tireimages/SF510_specs.pdf

Thanks.

According to Tire Guides, your vehicle came with LT225/75R16 Load Range C. Many tire shops will not put on non-LT tires for legal liability reasons. So I would plan on the LT's - and even though they are a LR E, you inflate them like a LR C.

I agree with KD0AXS, if this is primarily a firewood hauler get the E-rated tires. I think people look at the GVW and say they aren't necessary. A full bed of firewood will put you quite a bit over the GVW and the truck will handle the weight much better than a C tire. For the little bit of mileage you put on this truck it's a no-brainer for me.

If you don't intend to work the truck/SUV, or it is reduced to the capacity of a daily driver, a non Load Range-E can be an option.

Having moved from non Load Range-E to Load Range-E tires on the same vehicle I can tell you the difference is quite noticeable in terms of tire squirm unloaded as well as handling under load towing and off road capabilities. My fuel economy went UP.

But if you intend to put the truck to work as you post, I would settle for nothing less than a good Load Range-E tire. I plan to get Coopers Discoverer AT3 this time around in that E capacity.

Last edited:
After considering what everyone posted, plus the fact that I also use the truck a lot in the winter (snow) and may be on boat ramps in the future, I went with a C-range all terrain tire. The combined load capacity is still well over the GAWR values and what I plan on hauling for wood.

Thanks for the help and info.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back