E-Code Headlight Restoration

Anyone ever restore one themselves or know anyone who does? I did a search using 'headlight, resto, e-code, h4' and related and mostly get hits for headlight polishing.

I have a set of late 70's flat face Lucas 7" H4's that came on a car I imported but have partially corroded reflectors, and want to get them restored or, maybe, split the housings and swap reflectors from a more modern set.

Thanks...

These would work just fine, and be a lot less trouble. Yours sound like they may be pitted, and not good for a re-chrome.

https://www.amazon.com/HELLA-002395991-Type-Single-Headlamp/dp/B0002M9QJM

FYI, the Cibies were known to have the best pattern and output. I've used the Hells's in my 142 Volvo with very good results.
Appreciate that.

So amongst the fleet below, I am running; Lucas, Cibie, Cibie Bobi (remember them?), Lucas and Hella e-codes and have a nice set of vintage, unused Koito's in a box! The flat faced Lucas are a bit rare and that is why I want to try and save them.

Last edited:
Appreciate that.

So amongst the fleet below, I am running; Lucas, Cibie, Cibie Bobi (remember them?), Lucas and Hella e-codes and have a nice set of vintage, unused Koito's in a box! The flat faced Lucas are a bit rare and that is why I want to try and save them.

Any of your use a 4x6? I have a couple of pairs NEW N.O.S. Marchal H4 4x6 headlights I'd do $100. plus shipping for a pair.

Marchal front-1.jpg

Cibie Bobi (remember them?)

Off-topic but interesting story.

In the late 70's (that's 1970's) I was running 7" Cibie Z-beams in my car. I actually got pulled over by the local Officer Krupke who proceeded to harangue me because "my headlights were too bright, they must be illegal". He was right of course with Z-beams being of the non-sealed variety. I told him that he was wrong, I had just installed Cibie BOBI's and he should do a little research. He wrote that info down and promised that he would be sending me a fixit ticket. I never heard anything else from him again.

Back