E-Bikes

Glad to hear that yours work so well.
I've personally tried 5 different brands, all required pedalling, which defeated the entire purpose of us renting them to ride around exploring on. The Surface 604 was the worst offender, that had to be pedalled so hard to get the assist to work, it would have been easier to ride a normal bike that weighs 1/3 as much. They have to help a rider, just to overcome their own heft, and be back on par to my normal bike. About 5 years ago an elderly gentleman wanted to ride, but knew that he couldn't pedal a bike hard enough to make it up hills, or go far. So I suggested that we rent electric bikes, assuming they had a twist throttle, thumb throttle, or some sort of throttle to make it go. My mistake, no they didn't, and so we rode about 1000', and had to turn back. Exploring a place on an ebike sounds great while vacationing, rentals all over. But they are more like an overweight bike you MUST pedal ( every one i have tried ) which really doesn't work for everyone. Sure the young and fit crowd, why are you even buying an electric assist bike at all. By something light to jump and thrash on, pedal like the athlete you are, and just be hucking off big drops, and hammering over large rocks etc. But if you are 73, had heart surgery three times, knees are worn out, haven't ridden a bicyclein 40 years, and just want to explore around a town, and the nearby area, lets say Jasper Alberta, with your granddaughter, then being forced to pedal, and pedal fairly hard, not just spinning the pedals, to make it help, is a terrible idea!

Last edited:
It seems like a lot of the eBike I am seeing reviews of I can not see any evidence of braze ons for a rack in the back or a bottle holder. The above pictured Trek being the only exception.

Glad to hear that yours work so well.
I've personally tried 5 different brands, all required pedalling, which defeated the entire purpose of us renting them to ride around exploring on. The Surface 604 was the worst offender, that had to be pedalled so hard to get the assist to work, it would have been easier to ride a normal bike that weighs 1/3 as much. They have to help a rider, just to overcome their own heft, and be back on par to my normal bike. About 5 years ago an elderly gentleman wanted to ride, but knew that he couldn't pedal a bike hard enough to make it up hills, or go far. So I suggested that we rent electric bikes, assuming they had a twist throttle, thumb throttle, or some sort of throttle to make it go. My mistake, no they didn't, and so we rode about 1000', and had to turn back. Exploring a place on an ebike sounds great while vacationing, rentals all over. But they are more like an overweight bike you MUST pedal ( every one i have tried ) which really doesn't work for everyone. Sure the young and fit crowd, why are you even buying an electric assist bike at all. By something light to jump and thrash on, pedal like the athlete you are, and just be hucking off big drops, and hammering over large rocks etc. But if you are 73, had heart surgery three times, knees are worn out, haven't ridden a bicyclein 40 years, and just want to explore around a town, and the nearby area, lets say Jasper Alberta, with your granddaughter, then being forced to pedal, and pedal fairly hard, not just spinning the pedals, to make it help, is a terrible idea!

I've ridden several Surface bikes (mainly the Rook) and they all had the same controller setup as my X3 Pro, which allows manual throttle as well as pedal assist.

That being said, many bike rental outlets disable the hand throttle feature to avoid damage caused by user abuse (kids doing donuts and burnouts and such)

They can also limit the amount of pedal assist to a lower mode setting ensure the batteries last longer.

I rarely ever use the hand throttle as the pedal assist is usually more than enough.

In fact, the only time I use it is when I forget to downshift at an intersection and I need a little boost to get going in high gear.

Here are a couple of 360* videos from my ride through a local park (watch in YouTube app for 36* VR view in 5K)

It seems like a lot of the eBike I am seeing reviews of I can not see any evidence of braze ons for a rack in the back or a bottle holder. The above pictured Trek being the only exception.

I used a universal rack for my Sondors Fold X
It has 3 allen head bolts on the bottom of the frame for a bottle holder, but I prefer to just bungee cord a bottle to the rack.

Just had a chat with a guy at the local bike shop. They don't sell throttle bikes and mention the local rules consider them mo-peds subject to restrictions from being on bike paths. Their models have the 5 or six settings for assist but you still have to pedal. I think the guys who need the throttles are first in line at the all-you-can eat. Flame suit on. ;)

Just had a chat with a guy at the local bike shop. They don't sell throttle bikes and mention the local rules consider them mo-peds subject to restrictions from being on bike paths. Their models have the 5 or six settings for assist but you still have to pedal. I think the guys who need the throttles are first in line at the all-you-can eat. Flame suit on. ;)
This is not correct. Either the guy at the shop was misinformed, or trying to sell you what he had in stock--because many brands don't have throttles. Ebikes in Canada can have a throttle, but they're limited to 500W/32kph: https://ebikebc.com/ebike-regulatio...ust not have,when the operator stops pedaling.

You'll see that most bikes designed specifically for the US and Canadian market will have throttle control. A lot of brands (and motor manufacturers such as Bosch, Brose and some others) do not do throttles, since 95% of their business is in Europe, and throttle control IS banned in most of European countries. I linked the BC regulations above. In most US locales, a bike can have a throttle, as long as the speed is limited to 20mph and the wattage is limited to 750W. These are Class II bikes and in most places can go anywhere a regular bike can go. While the below says "California E-Bike policy", it's been adopted in the majority of states, and under consideration in the rest. You can find specific information about your own location here: https://www.peopleforbikes.org/topics/electric-bikes

bike classes.jpg
bike classes.jpg

I wouldn't buy an e-bike that doesn't have a throttle......now pass the gravy ;)

Back