E-15 rule to be waived

I see that the president is going to waive the EPA E-15 rule to allow wider distribution in an attempt to reduce fuel prices. I found it interesting that there is an argument that E15 will produce more smog in the summer. If this is the case then why does E10 or E85 reduce pollution. Or is it all just a gift to the big Ag Corp.

Dumbest idea I've heard yet! I'd say 100% of ethanol is trucked into the terminals, so more diesel fuel will need to be burned to transport this ethanol to the terminals.
It was called a scam by certain people and a way to get votes from farmers when Trump tried it. Now it's supposed to save us money? Uh-Uh.
Not to mention further reducing fuel economy for the average driver.

Dumbest idea I've heard yet! I'd say 100% of ethanol is trucked into the terminals, so more diesel fuel will need to be burned to transport this ethanol to the terminals.
It was called a scam by certain people and a way to get votes from farmers when Trump tried it. Now it's supposed to save us money? Uh-Uh.
Not to mention further reducing fuel economy for the average driver.
The fix is simple but they aren't after a fix.

Perhaps I missed it - where is there anything that mandates anyone use E15? I'll wait...

Apparently having more choices is bad... Been buying E15 for 50 cents a gallon less than E10 for two months now...

What's going to happen is the stations that currently sell E10 are going to buy E15 to save money and profit. Some stations only have 3 selections, 87/89/91 where they're all E10. So now, they might be E15 for all of them. That is de facto mandating people use E15 because of lack of availability.

What's going to happen is the stations that currently sell E10 are going to buy E15 to save money and profit. Some stations only have 3 selections, 87/89/91 where they're all E10. So now, they might be E15 for all of them. That is de facto mandating people use E15 because of lack of availability.
The question is: Will all grades of E15 fuel drop their price by $.50/gallon?
I'd venture to say NO.

Perhaps I missed it - where is there anything that mandates anyone use E15? I'll wait...

Apparently having more choices is bad... Been buying E15 for 50 cents a gallon less than E10 for two months now...
Where are you getting it that much cheaper? I am in your neck of the woods.

I'm not putting E15 in either of my vehicles. Both owners manuals specifically state that it should not be used. They are going to force me to use the ultra expensive E0 (higher $ than premium E10 at the QT near me).
They are not following the science, and they are not watching-out for consumer's best interests. The American Petroleum Institute says a three-year study conducted by automakers and the oil industry found that E15 is a consumer safety issue for a majority of drivers with pre-2012 vehicles. "Our testing of ethanol levels at 15% has identified issues about engine durability,'' API group director and engineer Bob Greco says.
Furthermore, BMW, Chrysler, Nissan, Toyota and VW have said their warranties will not cover fuel-related claims caused by E15. Ford, Honda, Kia, Mercedes-Benz and Volvo have said E15 use will void warranties, citing potential corrosive damage to fuel lines, gaskets and other engine components.
E15 can be used without causing any problems with vehicles that are setup for E85, but can/will cause long term problems if used in most other vehicles.

Where are you getting it that much cheaper? I am in your neck of the woods.

The highest I've paid the last two months is $3.54 if that tells you anything.

The Kwik Trips that make a triangle around the Costco in Burnsville use Super 88 as a competing product against Costco pricing. The Kwik Trip at Buck Hill Road and Crystal Lake Road, the one on County Road 5 by Burnsville Parkway, and the one at Palomino and CR 11 in Apple Valley.

The gap narrowed to 20 cents or so this week, but its still cost effective...

I see that the president is going to waive the EPA E-15 rule to allow wider distribution in an attempt to reduce fuel prices. I found it interesting that there is an argument that E15 will produce more smog in the summer. If this is the case then why does E10 or E85 reduce pollution. Or is it all just a gift to the big Ag Corp.
You nailed it Sam!

Lots of hand wringing and assumptions happening in this thread.

Nobody is forcing anyone to:
A. Sell E15
B. Replace all other grades with E15
C. Use only E15

Reading anything more than that into even allowing the use of E15 is trying to find a boogeyman...

Living in a place where E15 is actually easily found, the reality is this:

Most stations who carry it did so by getting rid of mid-grade, 89 Octane, E10. If you want 87 E10, you buy that. If you want 91 E10 or E0 (or higher if you can find it), you buy that.

No station wants to lose sales to folks who don't want to use it - its another option.

That's it. Don't want to? Then don't... But to be opposed to even just allowing it is interesting.

A. Sell E15
C. Use only E15

Reading anything more than that into even allowing the use of E15 is trying to find a boogeyman...

Most stations who carry it did so by getting rid of mid-grade, 89 Octane, E10. If you want 87 E10, you buy that. If you want 91 E10 or E0 (or higher if you can find it), you buy that.

No station wants to lose sales to folks who don't want to use it - its another option.

That's it. Don't want to? Then don't... But to be opposed to even just allowing it is interesting.
I was for it before I was against it.

A. Sell E15
C. Use only E15

I'm worried about some people (like my wife), not knowing any better, being duped into buying E15.

My bag of corn chips got expensive since E10 and are crazy now!
Oh, well they are for fattening the hog before market anyways ...

happy pigs.jpg

Considering that E15 isn't supposed to be used in vehicles older than 2001 or small or marine engines, I wonder how well that will work...

Well I sure hope no one will be forced to go to E15 yet. But I also hope no one believes that ethanol is cheaper than gasoline. The consumer sees it at a lower price at the pump only because their tax dollars are subsidizing it. But the big problem I have (and its the first time I have heard anyone in the Media admit it) is that it actually causes MORE smog. So the Save the Environment call we were all told was the reason for E10 and the move for some to E85 and the costs associated with early adoption seems to be a boondoggle.

Back