Dyson analysis worth the extra cost?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: bruce381
""Does the Dyson test through Blackstone come with the gag-order where you can't talk about anything to anyone else?"'

Funny I have many various oil related tests run some $500-700 per shot and most have some interpretation of the results but I have Never been bound to any non dislosure since I paid for the lab "service" I can blab all I want.

Even when the data has comparisons to the labs in house data base.

Then I guess the labs I use are in business to run tests.

I don't say it is wrong for a person to have this non-disclosure requirement because it is a business and he can do whatever he wants, it's his business. He can also direct people to use certain oils if he wants, that is also his business. Also he can have a pay as you go oil forum (in contrast to the free BITOG), and that is also his business.

I myself think that knowledge that can't be shared is pretty much worthless and I won't be bound by any non-disclosure agreement. We are not talking about national secrets here. The whole reason we do UOAs is to learn and help others learn. Putting gag-orders on spreading knowledge is totally contrary to the reason I do UOAs, to learn, and to the purpose of BITOG IMO.

Not questioning Terry's abilities or rights to do whatever he wants, just saying that I would not use his services due to the non-disclosure agreement.

Tough to beat Shaeffers Oil Analysis. I have used Terry in the past and he is thorough and very informative. And a great guy. But the Shaeffers analysis is tougher to beat.

Originally Posted By: INDYMAC
...If you are on a tight budget, like most of us, try to target when to use Terry's service. Some examples might be:

-just before warranty expires on newer vehicle.
-suspect you may have a mechanical problem with vehicle.

Excellent advise there. Spending $99 if it might uncover hundreds (or thousands) of dollars of engine work is money well spent.

Clark

Blackstone:

Karl Fisher Water Test $34.00
TAN ...................$10.00
TBN....................$10.00
Viscosity Index........$34.00
Standard UOA...........$22.50

No oxidation/nitration and a few others.

Terry has no problem with raw data sharing.

No two ways about it, I'll be digging deeper into my pocket with future 0w-10 testing ...but I want this level of data and interpretation for this level of out of bounds exploration.

I'd love to hand it to SWRI with half a dozen engines for some Sequence IIIG testing (and all the rest) ..but I'm a quarter million light at the moment.

I had Terry look at the latest report from my Rogue. I was impressed. I will be using his services again.

Next time I'm going to use his in house kit. His in house kits provide a lot of info for the money and with the added value of his interp it is a deal. Probably a little expensive for most of us to use regularly, but periodically it would be great insurance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back